Letter over wine

Tic-tac, the time went by like usual. The empty office room has been quiet like usual, only the outside sea playing its eternal melody. It sounded dull like a dark room or like a headache, depending on Wriothesley's soberness. Sometimes this silence was broken by an echoing sound of clicking and clacking in pipes.

Tic-tac, the clock continued playing its song. That little sound would be irritating to some, but for the Duke of Meropide prison, it was something to hold onto. Something man made, something to keep him sane. But it was a memento. It was a memento to his everyday job. Wake up, check up on everything, tackle a few struggles, go to sleep, rinse and repeat.

Tic-tac, he was getting tired. It was not as if he was not glad for the job he had, he could have been worse. To bring a place where people could better themselves and leave with peace on their mind. That their time in prison was not completely wasted. But that was difficult to do when one felt as if they were wasting their time, no?

Maybe he was overthinking, he thought. Maybe he should just be happy for his life being at peace. He had food, he had a place to stay, and he had money. Only if that would bring him happiness... he could not understand why, but he felt as if he could have been doing something more. Something more fun, at least in his free time. But what in hell would he do here? Read the same book he did many times before? Go do the same thing that he does during his job? How many things are there to do in a metal box under the surface?

He sat up from his bed and rubbed his eyes out. His eyes had a hard time accommodating the night, but he made it more difficult for them once he lit a candle. It flashed him more than he would have ever assumed. He stood up, stretched his back out, picked up the candle and took multiple heavy steps towards his clock. The coldness of the walls brushed against his bare skin. It was 2 in the morning. Great, he thought. 

The melody of waves kept on pestering the whole underwater building. It not only sounded, but also felt like bangs and punches against not only the walls, but against him as well. He knew that the whole structure was secure, but sometimes, especially in a weak moment, he felt hopeless.He did so now as well. He took multiple steps towards his office to see if he could do anything there. 

It was soundproof, so he could relax his mind for a bit. Maybe it would not hurt if he would spend the night there, he thought. He quickly walked up the stairs, and there it was. 

He fell into a nearby sofa and sighed. He had to do something with himself. He wanted to do something out of his mind, well, as long as it was allowed by the law. The law... how was his dear friend Neuvillette doing?

Oh yeah, the judge... Wriothesley's heart felt warm for a moment there. What was he up to? He did not speak to him for a long while now... how odd would it be to write him a letter all of a sudden? It is not as if Neuvillette's stoic nature would understand any feelings he would include in the letter. He was not a psychiatrist, he was a judge.

A pretty judge, he thought. That long white hair which followed him on every single step, that formal attire he always wore made Wriothesley somewhat intrigued. It was for seemingly no reason. But oh his voice... it was always so polite, almost apologetic at times, but when he spoke to him, his voice got rough. The way he spelled his name always got Wriothesley to tremble somewhere deep in his heart. 

Wriothesley with an emphasis on the 'r' and 's' which made the name seem more important than it is. He always took his time to spell it, maybe due to being as polite as he could. Maybe it was due to the name being difficult to pronounce for Neuvillette. Maybe it was intentional...

No, that could not be the case, Wriothesley shook his head and blushed. But maybe he could write a letter to him, no? It is not as if Neuvillette would be mad at him or anything like that surely enough, no? He was not sure. Pouring a little wine would not hurt either, would it?

He lazily stood up from the sofa, walked over to a cabinet and found some cheap one to clench his thirst. He picked up two elegant glasses from it as well. He then came all the way to his desk, sat down at the chair and placed the two glasses on the table. He opened up the bootle, poured the crimson bitter liquid in and placed it next to the pair of glasses. He picked one of them up, gazing at the other as if it was a sunset.

"Cheers." he muttered out while gently clinking the glass against the edge of the other and taking a sip. He did not want to get wasted, although he was going to drink the wine from the other glass as well.He found a paper fancy enough to suit his needs, he picked up a pen and he got writing.

'Good morning, mister Neuvillette...'

Was that too fancy? Maybe, but it was too late to change that without changing the whole paper altogether, he did not want to bother.

'I hope all of your days are going well and you are not getting too much paperwork from Miss Furina. How is she doing? I have not heard from her for a while now, I hope she is doing well as well.'

He pondered how to approach the next sentence. How to state that he wants some company without stating it outright. He did not even dare to think about how to include certain feelings he had for Neuvillete, he had to play it off more friendly. He sighed, took a sip of wine and he got writing. He realized that he could have made himself some tea to warm his body up, but he gave up on doing that the moment the beverage was poured through his throat.

'I would like to invite you for some tea, not that I have much after not being outside of Meropide for a while now, but I have enough for both of us. I could offer you a place to stay overnight if our conversations get too long...'

"Am I am stupid?" he asked himself under his breath the moment he realized what he was writing. How foolish he was. There are not many things to talk about, no? They were not that close, at least it seemed like. It was a bit difficult to be sure with Neuvillette. Alas, he could not take the ink out of the paper now, and he was definitely rewriting the letter again. He took another sip.

'...but of course, only if you have time. I do not have many things going on right now, so it is up to your own schedule, I know you are very busy, I would not like to be a burden to you. Feel free to take your time and write to me whenever you would like, I am able to change my plans to fit your needs. I wish you a peaceful day and I hope to see you.'

He wondered how to end his letter. Was he going to be formal? Was he not? He felt how his head was getting a bit dizzy and eyes a bit blurry, so he gave up on writing his whole title. He took yet another sip of the wonderfully bitter wine and poured more into his glass.

'Vriothsley'

Good, he thought. That looks good. At least a little, he hoped. He was not sure, he was seeing double, but he proudly looked at it. He ended the letter by folding it up before sliding it into an envelope.

He did not remember much after that. He felt as if he was not thinking straight from that point on. He only remembered that he handed the letter to a worker somewhere in a hallway and told them to hand it over to Neuvillette. Either way, he had the best sleep he ever had that night, even though he fell asleep on the desk.