𝟐𝟕 | 𝐄𝐯𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐞.

Death hasn't gotten any easier to deal with

Death hasn't gotten any easier to deal with. You'd think by now I'd be desensitized to it. This one hit the hardest so far though.

Since I was a kid I grew up only ever wanting to hang out with my big brothers. They'd take pity on me and let me tag along and even so when we were older.

I never pictured a life without either of them until Rick's accident. It didn't seem humanly possible.
"I get it now." My voice horse. "You're not allowed to not make it back home either."

Rick looked over to me as we were walking back with Carl. I was the first to say anything. He nodded looking just as rough as I was i'm sure. "Nate, I'm sorry. You tried to tell me and—"

"No." He stopped him before we could go down that road. "I had my suspicions but I didn't think he'd take it that far. I didn't want to believe it. I'm just glad I got to be there to have him be surrounded by those who loved him, even if he did lose his way. I needed that, maybe more than he did."

Rick wrapped his arm around my shoulder pulling me into a hug. Feeling Carl join as he held onto us both helped put a grin on my face.

As we began walking again Rick asked if I could give him sometime to talk with Carl alone. I pushed forward giving them space.

The tree line revealed Miller who was pacing back and forth rifle in hand as he waited for me to appear.
"Where's Rick and Shane?" He asked as my figure barely reached the open field.

"What happened?" He quickly changed his question seeing the worn down facial features I sported. As we were walking back our pace was slow to gave me time to pull myself together.

He was just about to speak when raspy growls erupted from the darkness around us.

"Oh my god." I barely said as the wind was exhaling from my lungs not to be returned. I could've sworn my heart flew down out of my ass the more walkers kept appearing from the trees. A massive horde making a beeline for the farmhouse.

We were unfortunate enough to meet up with them on our way. "There's hundreds of them." Miller said just as frozen in place to watch the army march like I was.
"Rick and Carl won't make it back in time. I need to go back."

He disagreed with logic on his side. "You won't make it and if you do you'll just be sending more walkers to them. Our people need us."

I hesitated looking back in the direction Rick and Carl would've been. He was right. "Tell me your mags are full." I asked as I glanced to towards the house. "Yes. You?" Pistol in hand as I respond. "We've at least got that going for us."