𝟐𝟖 | 𝐃𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐲 𝐧𝐨 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞.

Five. The number of people we lost last night. We counted our losses once we had regrouped on the highway.

We let it be known we lost Shane but didn't say how.
The next was Jimmy. He had seen Rick and Carl on the roof of the barn. When it went up in flames he drove the caravan over so they could hop down safely.
It was overrun within minutes.

Next came Patricia which most of us witnessed. Then Andrea. She saved Carol and Jamie from a close call but then got tackled to the ground. No one could confirm her death though.

After Beth and Lori were in the truck it was Miller who made the fifth loss. Carol said he was with her and Jamie for a bit but the horde was too overwhelming. He told Carol to take Jamie and run. He used himself as a distraction to give them a better chance. She heard him taunting the dead with his screams as he fired rounds of whatever ammo he had left.

She didn't see him get taken out so we hold onto hope that wherever he is, Andrea and he would be together.

The highway was no longer safe which was proven when Daryl took down a walker who had been stumbling towards us. Our sign to leave.

We made it a decent distance away. Hours had gone by before the cars were pulled to the side of the road. Riding on fumes could only get us so far and we were in desperate need of fuel.

A brief conversation with my brother resulted in the group spending the night where we stood. Others fought us on it but the idea of splitting up wasn't an option.

I was defending our decision against some of the others when Rick surprised us all.

"We're all infected." He paused for a moment. All the bickering between us had been dropped. "At the CDC Jenner told me. Whatever it is we all carry it."

Carol with her arms crossed stepped in his direction. "And you never said anything?" The hostility growing amongst the group all aimed at one person.

"It wouldn't have made a difference." Rick tried to defend himself. It was Glenn who tore his effort apart. "You knew this whole time?"

"How was I supposed to know it was true? You seen him—" Glenn wanted no more excuses. "That wasn't your call. When I heard about the walkers in the barn I told for the good of everyone."

His soft tone didn't match the irritated look on his face as Rick responded. "Well I thought it best if people didn't know." He left us standing in a whirlwind of emotions. Shock and betrayal being the main two.

Everyone's face looked defeated as I spoke out softly.
"We should get a fire going. It's only going to get colder now that the suns going down."

"We're really going to stay here?" Beth asked me. The others unmoved. "Yes. I know you guys don't like it but it's the best option. The last thing we need right now is to get separated again. We'll get moving first thing in the morning."

The others started to talk amongst themselves as they headed back towards the cars to grab what they needed for the night. I ready to follow Rick but Lori asked to go instead.

I found a secluded spot in the woods just off the road. I haven't grieved over the loss of Bryson since I heard Carol break the news to. I waited till now not letting myself fall apart in front of the others.