𝟏 | 𝐇𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐤𝐢𝐥𝐥.

One thing I hated about injuries was that I couldn't do much while rehabbing

One thing I hated about injuries was that I couldn't do much while rehabbing. Then sometimes days would run together. I'd lose track and in the blink of an eye a week had come and gone.

That's what I hated about being on the go like this. Without the farm we had nowhere to go so that led to us traveling in circles seeking what shelter we could.

Winter had come and gone being one of two indications that a few months have passed. Andrea used to keep track of the days but stopped after Amy died. Now we tell time by Lori's pregnant belly. She wasn't far along when we had to leave the farm but she's really popped the last couple of weeks.

We weren't sure it was the correct day but we celebrated Beth's eighteenth birthday based off those indicators. It's been hard lately. On a good day we'd find enough food to feed Carl and Jamie. On our best day there'd be enough to give Lori some of it. Never thought I'd miss Daryl's squirrels more. To say we needed some kind of good moment to celebrate was an understatement.

"Happy Birthday, sweetheart." Her beautiful doe eyes met mine as she tried her best to give me a smile. She didn't want to make it a big deal but I couldn't resist.

"You got me something?" She glanced down to the gift I held wrapped in a small hand towel.

"Déjà vu" I smirked.

She took the cloth and folded back to corners. "Where did you find this?" She beamed at the small tube of unopened mascara.

"Why, did I not pick out the right one? I don't have a receipt but I can try to return it." My playful grin widened at the sound of her giggle.

"Nate,"

"Should've seen the girl I wrestled for it." My amusement level was at full capacity.

"Maybe I should let one of the other girls have it. I can't be selfish just because it's sort of my birthday." Her conscience trying to fight her want.

It almost made me laugh how badly she was staring at me in hopes of disagreeing with her. "It's not food, ammunition or anything else useful for the group. It's okay to be selfish on this one."

"Well if you insist." She smiled wrapping her arms around my waist. Her head pressed to my chest as I returned the embrace. A kiss placed on the top of her head while she spoke. "Thank you."