A break.

"Why don't you take a break?" I flinched at the sound, turning to reckon the source of the voice. Finding Vera, the nanny, I sigh lightly and my lips are tugged into a sweet smile. "Sorry, you scared me.." "I know, you were so hyper focused on your homework that you didn't hear me knock on your door three times." She commented, lightly bringing her slender hands to my hair and ruffling it a bit. "Come downstairs, I made tea." "Okay, but once I-" "No, now." Interrupting, she tapped the top of my head a couple times playfully. "Before it gets cold." She concluded as she left my room with a final glance and a warm smile. The door closes.

Four minutes later, I made my way downstairs and into the kitchen. It was neatly tidied, organised evenly. Everything had a designated spot, even the soaps and scrubs. I sit at the dining table as I observe Vera stir the tea, delicately tapping the teaspoon against the ceramic cup. After she's done, she places a cup in front of me.

"You really need to stop overworking yourself, I hate seeing you so tired. It's like trying to motivate a dying plant." She mumbles the last part, taking a sip of tea. I take a sip of my tea, then place it back on the table. "Sorry." I uttered quietly, my eyes pouring into the hardwood table. "I know you are, just be a bit kinder to yourself." She speaks with a tone of concern as she glazes her fingers over my left arm. "You know you're only 24, you still need to see the world! Just take a small break, it won't hurt. Also, when was the last time you've eaten?" She speaks with a tone mixed with concern, yet emotional vulnerability. I cross my arms over my chest, sagging in my chair slightly. "Uhm.. Yesterday." I mutter, taking hold of my tea and having a small sip. "Darling.. That's not nearly enough for your age." Her eyes pour into mine as she grazes her thumb over my left hand that was now laying on the table. Her simple touch sent bitter shivers down my spine, my fingers lightly tapping on the table. "I know." I whisper, not wanting to talk about it. I take my hand away from hers, drinking the last of my tea and laying my head on the table. "Honey, you need to eat. I'm worried about you." She factually states, "you need it to live." "I know." "But do you?" She inquired, not only was she sincere but she was also dead serious. "I kn-" "Stop saying 'I know', it's not going to get you anywhere." She cuts me off, looking at me blankly in the eyes. I can almost sense her impending intimidation. "Estella, you know you can talk to me right? I've been here for you, for this family for years. Speaking of which, I should pick up your younger siblings." She sighed, standing up and grabbing her phone. "Don't do anything you'll regret." She established, walking out the door and closing it on her way out.