𝟒 | 𝐍𝐞𝐰𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐞.

New beginnings can be found even in the darkest of times

New beginnings can be found even in the darkest of times. Before now the idea of starting over in life used to terrify me.

I never even let myself think about it. I knew growing up all I wanted to be was a soldier. Part of me thought that my anger disorder was proof I was born to fight.

In this moment looking up at the fortress-to-be is hope. Something I haven't had in a while. A new beginning that could be just what we needed.

"Mmm, just like mom used to make." Glenn's sarcasm is the only thing being heard as he throws the animal bone from dinner.

We've all been pretty quiet since we settled down in the yard. The fire crackling as it kept us warm all huddled together.

Beth sat cross legged beside me. Jamie in her lap as they finished eating their squirrel meat.

On the left of me Lori rested her weight back on her arms to relax. She was watching Rick off in the distance.

"Tomorrow we'll clear the bodies and get them away from the fence. Plus if we dig under to the canal we'll have plenty of freshwater." T-Dog seen the vision too.
Already talking strategy to fix this place up.

"If the soil is good we could plant some things. Tomatoes, cucumbers and soybeans." Hershel threw a good idea out there.

"Score a point to the farmer." I snicked before Beth leaned over putting some weight against me. My arm wrapped around her from behind.

The others gave relaxed smiles, unthreatened gestures, and shifted in their comfortable positions. It felt nice to not look over our shoulders.

"That's his third time around. If there was a weak spot one of you would've found it by now." Hershel pointed out Rick who had been continuously doing laps around the yard on watch.

Lori and I shared an exchange of silent words before I spoke up. "We feel more comfortable on watch. It's our first night here. Can't be too careful."

"I'm shocked we pulled you away long enough to eat something." Carol said.

"I'm heading back out but I couldn't pass up your home cooking." I turned to Jamie and Beth giving them each a kiss on the forehead before returning to the east wall.

Daryl, Rick, Danny and I haven't been able to relax like the others. We just stand on watch waiting for the sun to come up.