𝟓 | 𝐌𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐫.

"Welcome home." To our surprise luck was on our side. Cell Block C was secured and separated from the rest of the prison. Only a few walkers were found in their locked cells.

It caused a pain in my stomach when seeing them. Being left to die like that was more cruel than if someone just shot them and let them bleed out. Least that would've been a quick end.

They died after a long sufferable death from starvation. The only thing that made it a little quicker was the fact that neither of them were very big. The larger you are the more your body can tolerate when starving. Plus they were men. Females usually last longer than males.

I guess at least if you are going to go that way at least it was the least painful experience.

"It's secure?" Lori asked as she shuffled into the cell block.

"This section is at least." I answered as I carried her bags in.

Rick came over to help when I led them inside. "Got a set of master keys from a dead guard. Tomorrow we'll find the cafeteria and infirmary."

"We sleep in the cells?" Beth asked looking up to me after taking a quick glance around.

"Think of it as your own room, sweetheart." Placing my hand on the small of her back for comfort as I turn to Jamie who's been quietly staring at the cells. "Jamie, what do you think?"

"Do you like it here?" Jamie continued to look around as she reached out taking Beth's hand.

Beth looked back at me as if she needed to hear me say it too. "I know it doesn't look like much right now but that'll change. We've got plans on how to make this work. I think we'll actually get some sleep tonight."

"Okay, Daddy." Jamie started walking as she pulled Beth with her. I was going to follow them but my feet wouldn't step forward.

No more Sully? I just stood there looking down to the floor smiling to myself like a damn idiot. "Are you coming?" Beth's soft spoken words registered grounding me. Grabbing Jamie and I's bags from by my feet I followed the sound of their voices.

The bags dropped to in the corner on the dusty floor. "This is pretty gross." Beth whined as she sat down on the bottom bunk. I lifted Jamie up onto the top bunk watching her try to climb. "You don't remember the storage units?"

She laid on her back to feel out her new bed. "That wasn't too bad." Pardon me? "Oh no? Probably because you two spent the entire night on my lap to avoid the ground."

Jamie shot up from her lying position. "Hey, that's not nice. I'm scared of spiders."

"Plus aren't you used to the dirt and bugs?" Beth matched the seven-year-old little girl's attitude.
"I'll clean it up in here tomorrow." I promised Jamie.

Beth sat back up and swung her legs to meet the floor. She looked up at me victoriously.

With Jamie distracted looking through her backpack I squatted down in between Beth's legs.

She got to look down to me for once as I spoke lowly. "You sound pretty cute when you whine." She pink tinted cheeks appeared.

"I didn't whine." She argued.

"Whatever you say." She's too stubborn to go back and forth with sometimes.

"Least the beds are comfortable. Try it." She demanded as she pat the seat next to her.

Obeying her wish I sat down. "Told you we'd sleep tonight."

Jamie's head peeks over from the top bunk. "Are we all staying together tonight daddy?"