𝟏𝟐 | 𝐅𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬.

"Welcome back." The sound of his fatigued voice made Beth look over to the entrance of her father's cell.

The corners of my mouth curved upward as his new state of being awake made a relieved smile come to my face. "I could say the same to you."

Beth stood from his bedside eagerly making her way to me. Her arms wrapping around my middle as she pressed her head against my chest. "I'm glad you're alright."

"Thought you were going to make me come out looking for you on my one good leg." Hershel commented weakly as I wrapped my arm around Beth to return the embrace. "As if your girls would let you get that far."

"I was worried when you didn't come back with the others." She leaned back only far enough to look up at me. Her arms didn't dare release from me like she was worried I'd leave again.

"I'm sorry. Danny and I hung back for a bit. I just needed some time."

She wanted to ask more but Hershel's request put an end to it. "Beth, can you give me a minute with Nate?"

She looked back to her father. "Sure Daddy." She gave me one quick worried smile before she left us.

I took a seat where she once sat at his bedside. "Honestly I didn't think you'd make it. I'd never tell Beth that— but it wasn't looking good."

"Me neither." He agreed. "Can I ask you something personal, Nathan?"

I glanced down at my steady hands. "After everything we've been through I think you've earned it. What's on your mind?"

"From what I remember you've had some close calls yourself over the years." My silence confirmed he wasn't wrong. "Where'd you go mentally? What'd you think about?"

Flashback • Collapsed Building

"Serg, you're up brother." Andrew's voice low not to wake the others. I feel his hand firmly grab my shoulder before he resorts to giving me a shake.

"Drew." I mumble as I bury my face into my backpack I used as a pillow. "You said every three hours. You don't like it then kick your own ass."

"You're feeling pretty good about yourself right now— aren't you?" I lift my head to see his proud smile being lifted.

"I do believe that is my first time using your words against you." He's stating it as a fact. He knows.

"Where's Miller?" My head is killing me as I sit up but it's not like I have a choice.

"Waiting for you. He doesn't look much better." Reaching up I give his shoulder a rough squeeze. "You Sir, you're not exactly the first thing I want to see when I open my eyes in the morning." His laugh threatens to wake the group of survivors we've managed to keep safe.

"We can't all be a short woman with dark hair, crystal skin, a nice rack and legs for days." His description was pretty much spot on.

"She is really nice to look at, isn't she?" Did I just say she is? Probably should switch to past tense. I'll never know what happened to Jess now. Not like she'd call if she could. We've only ever slept with each other a couple of times.

"I can't comment on that." His ring still dangled with his dog tags. I can't imagine how it is for him right now. He flopped down taking my spot as soon as I turn to go find Miller for our shift.

"Rough morning?"

His eyes are barely open as he leans his forehead forward against the wall. "We were in Afghanistan two months ago. That was less painful." He wasn't wrong. Least we had slept. Had food and water. Caffeine. God I miss caffeine. "I know man."