Chapter Fifteen

BORN TO DIE
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     "Chancellor." Anakin spoke as he waltzed in Palpatine's office, finding the elderly man sitting at his desk. "We've just received a report from Master Kenobi. He has engaged General Grievous."

"We can only hope that Master Kenobi is up to the challenge."

"I should be there with me." Anakin said after a moment, hating the fact that his former master, his brother, was taking on General Grievous alone.

Palpatine frowned. "It's upsetting to me to see that the council doesn't seem to fully appreciate your talents. Don't you wonder why they won't make you a Jedi master?"

"I wish I knew. More and more I get the feeling that I'm being excluded from the council." Anakin paused, his gaze meeting the elderly man's. "I know there are things about the Force that they're not telling me."

Palpatine rose to his feet. "They don't trust you, Anakin. They see your future. They know your power will be too strong to control."

Anakin didn't say anything as Palpatine placed a hand on his back, guiding him to the small hall in his office.

"You must break through the fog of lies the Jedi have created around you. Let me help you to know the subtleties of the Force."

Anakin furrowed his eyebrows in curiosity. "How do you know the ways of the Force?"

"My mentor taught me everything about the Force." Palpatine replied. "Even the nature of the dark side."

Anakin froze as soon he heard those last words leave from Palpatine's lips. Palpatine slowly turned to him, his facial expression blank. Anakin moved his hand to his lightsaber, keeping his narrowed eyes on the elderly man.

"You know the dark side?" He asked.

"Anakin, if one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace a larger view of the Force." Palpatine told him, speaking calmly and slowly. "Be careful of the Jedi, Anakin. Only through me can you archive a power greater than any Jedi. Learn to know the dark side of the Force, and you will be able to save your wife from certain death."

"What did you just say?" Anakin growled, his protectiveness for his wife kicking in. He clenched his jaw.

"Use my knowledge. I beg you."

In that moment, everything started to make sense to Anakin. Without hesitation, he took his lightsaber out and aimed it directly at Palpatine's neck.

"You're the Sith Lord!" He exclaimed.

"I know what's been troubling you, Anakin. Listen to me. Don't continue to be a pawn of the Jedi council. Ever since I've known you, you've been searching for a life greater than that of an ordinary Jedi. A life of significance." He paused, not failing to notice the dark look in Anakin's gaze. "Are you going to kill me?"

"I would certainly like to." Anakin replied.

"I know you would. I can feel your anger. It gives you focus, makes you stronger."