𝟏𝟖 | 𝐒𝐮𝐜𝐜𝐮𝐦𝐛 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬.

We cleared Cell Block C when vigorously searching for the missing of the group. The others came in as Rick and I were checking the last of the cells.

"They must've been pushed back into the prison." Glenn guessed after we had already exhausted all our usual spots.

My boot connected with the open cell door beside me when kicking it closed out of frustration. "Dammit!"

Rick hissed through closed teeth. "Someone is playing games! We'll split up and look for the others. Whoever gets to the generators first, shut 'em down!"

"You find anyone other than our people, you put a bullet through their god damn head." I growled as I took off hearing them all hum in agreement.

I chose to split from the others to cover more ground

I chose to split from the others to cover more ground. Shouldn't have been surprised when I felt Danny's hand tap my shoulder when I peeked around a corner. It brought me back to our days of being in the line up when breaching a hostile facility.

"Should've known you'd come." I whispered looking back from a half a dozen or so walkers down the hall.

"Where the hell else would I be?" He threw a nervous glance over his shoulder as he watched our back side.

"If we find who did this—" I turned to him taking a second before chaos broke out.

"I know."

My words cold as my head shook. "If you can— you take them alive." He gave me a pointed look but then nodded. Beth would have to get over it eventually.

The group of walkers nearly doubled before we could make it out to the end of the hall. The narrow space left no room for error as we fought. We tried to drop the walkers on top of each other creating a makeshift barrier. Our hopes of slowing down the attacks pace was denied as a few from the other hall reached us.

"Danny run!" I shouted as the situation escalated making gunfire the only solution. I promised if I made it out I'd always carry my rifle on my back from here on out. My pistol's mag empty as Danny remained at my side. "Hell no! Not without you!"

"Now!" I grunted over the snarls in my face. My bar being the only thing separating me from the dead. Another shot went off as Danny soaked my face with  the walkers blood.

He grabbed the back of my shirt pulling me from the walkers body as we backed up. My hand covered in crimson as I held onto him. "You were bit?!"

"No!" He shot behind us dropping the three that almost reached out. The gunfire bringing unwanted attention to us only making it more difficult to get out.
"The bullet ricocheted and grazed my shoulder."

"I'm down to my pistol. We need—" His words gave no hope.

"Look out!" Our bodies violently tore apart as I fell to the cold unforgiving cement. A walker had lunged between us when we reached the new hallway.