𝟐𝟎 | 𝐇𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐬.

This house of cards came tumbling down as the faces of my past fought against each other

This house of cards came tumbling down as the faces of my past fought against each other. The prize to claim being to make their way through my defenses. I didn't put up a fight as my body fell sending me to my knees where I once was beside her.

Tomas, the one victorious strides forward to take a knee across from me. "I'm not the only one who suffered by your handy work." His gaze momentarily directed down between us studying her face.

His words make me slip into a coma of despair. "Scott, Deluca, Andrew, Miller, Shane and now her." His voice laced with malice. "It's dangerous being your family."

I couldn't speak. "You couldn't even save your sister and yet you still think you'll be able to protect the rest of them?"

I shook my head rapidly fighting to find my voice. "Who's next?" He asked as our eyes met. "Rick? Carl? Beth?" The anger in my heart couldn't break the chains I felt wrap around me as he spoke their names. "What about that daughter of yours?"

The foul mention of Jamie from his mouth snapped me back into a seething rage. "Don't talk about my family."

He only smirked at my snipe knowing he hit a nerve. "She would've been better off with me had I killed you and Rick." He latched onto the one thing he knew got a reaction out of me. "I might not be her dad but I still would've had her calling me da—"

The heinous words cut short as a shot rippled through the air. His eyes widened as the bullet penetrated his skull at downward angle. The form of his body had been torn from my vision as my eyes squeezed shut.

When I opened them he was gone but from beside where he once kneeled stood Carl. His gun still held on the air as it cooled from the discharged.

His features frozen at the sight of his bullet's damage. My eyes scanned down to his target. Within the time I lost myself he had put Lori's body to rest permanently.

My voice finds me as the gun shot jerked me from my demons. My brows pull together as self disappointment fills the void. "Carl, you shouldn't have had to—"

"People are going to die." His eyes finally rip from his mother to find me. "We won't ever be prepared for it no matter how much we try." His response calm as he sheds one single tear. "No more kid stuff."

His words pierced the surface of my soul. We are supposed to shield our children from the evil in this world, not the other way around. It was supposed to be me. I promised.

"You sound like my father."

Carl's bottom lip quivered for a second before falling back into the straight line. "Dad said he was a good man."