zero.

you are now reading: chapter 0, induction

.

.

.

"i like you, come join my gang!" y/n looks up, his face expressionless as he sees a blonde, young man looking down on him. y/n was sitting on an unconscious high school boy he just beat up a few seconds ago. his buddies were lying unconscious as well around him. y/n brought out a cigarette and lit it up, ignoring the blonde boy.

"hey, you ignoring me?" the blonde asks, grabbing y/n by the shoulder. irked, y/n moves to punch him, but his hand was caught effortlessly by the other. he didn't know who this guy was, where he came from, or what his goal was. all y/n knew was that he just finished beating up some older kid, then this guy appears out of nowhere. y/n narrowed his eyes, but he didn't take back his fist, instead, he glares up at the blond as if to challenge him.

"join my gang." this time, he sounded more serious. his eyes darkened and y/n felt a shiver of fear up his spine. he instinctively pulled back his fist and glares up at the blonde. "i don't even know you." y/n muttered.

suddenly, that dark expression on the blonde's face was no more, replaced by a cheery smile as he pulled some dorayaki from his pockets. "the name's mikey!" he cheerfully introduces himself.

"why the hell should i join your gang?" y/n begrudgingly asks.

"because...." he seemed to think for a moment. "because i think it'd be a lot more fun with you around!"

~

somehow, y/n agreed to joining. he was sitting behind mikey, the two of them driving through the streets of tokyo on mikey's bobber. y/n was wearing a black helmet mikey was definitely supposed to be wearing, but as y/n was the more inexperienced rider, he was graciouly given the helmet by mikey. they weaved past cars, thankful that there was no traffic. mikey knew exactly where they were going, but y/n remained mostly in the dark. the first thing his parents taught him when he was a child, was to not trust strangers, but if you knew their name, they're technically an acquiantance... right?

y/n shook his head, refusing to think any further about the situation he found himself in. a couple other bikes seemed to tail mikey, but they weren't doing anything, and mikey didn't seem too concerned either, so y/n ignored them. still, he couldn't push away the feeling of concern, so with one hand, he loosely wraps it around mikey's waist. mikey didn't react and simply continued driving ahead.

after a few more minutes of driving, mikey stops his bobber at the bottom of some stairs leading up to a shrine. mikey pauses, as if to wait for someone. the other bikes that joined them in the open road came into view. there were five other bikes that came up before stopping near mikey's bike. some scary looking guys removed their helmets, grinning as they greeted mikey with their own, "hey boss!" with mikey happily returning them.

then they noticed y/n. he was hiding behind mikey, seemingly making himself invisble. one of the older looking guys came up to him, donning a scary expression.

"who the hell are you?" he growled.

y/n gave him a look that said, "stay away, please." mikey gives the guy a look. "back off, pah-chin. he's gonna be our newest member."

another guy steps up. he had a buzz cut, his hair colored a light shade of pink. "you heard him, pah-chin. time to back off." he sighed as he walks towards the stairs. "can't be scaring off our newbies, right?" he adds with a small smirk before he begins making his way up the stairs. 'pah-chin' clicked his tongue in annoyance before he walks off to follow after the teen with the buzz cut.

"what's this?" y/n asks mikey as he waits for him to stand his bike. "why'd you bring me here?"

"we're gonna induct you into our gang!" mikey answers, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "i-i... did i consent to this-" before y/n could do or say anything else, mikey grabs him by the wrist and drags him up the flight of stairs leading to the musashi shrine. the torii gates towered above their heads as they passed by, trying to catch up to everyone who was already there. up at the shrine, everyone was wearing the same black uniform. stitched to its back, in gold thread, were the characters that stood for the tokyo manji gang.

'so that's what they're called.' y/n thinks to himself. then, mikey releases his hand, making his way over to the shrine. he hops up to the platform, standing above the rest of them. a tall blonde with a dragon tattooed to the side of his head stood beside him.

"everyone!!" mikey yelled, garnering everyone's attention. "since our gang was founded three months ago, the tokyo manji gang has remained steadfast with just six members. but today, we welcome our first recruit! step up, l/n y/n!!"

y/n was still confused, but he steps up anyways, standing in the stairs, a step below mikey. he kept his head hung low, as if he really didn't want to be there. an hour ago, he'd just met the teen who calls himself mikey, now he's about to become a part of their gang?! y/n was, confused, but he couldn't find the time to ask questions since mikey just continued moving forward, never stopping.

"do you accept the offer to become a member of the tokyo manji gang?" mikey asks, serious expression on his face this time.

y/n glanced around, seeing everybody staring at him, patiently waiting for his response. y/n didn't like gangsters, he thought they looked lame, that they were nothing more than hair-brained thugs that only knew how to fight, he certainly didn't think of becoming one. but it's not like he had anything to do after class. back in his school, he was part of the photography club. they're mostly active, always seen during school events, and partnered with someone from the school newspaper. but it's not like he ever attended any of those.

"sure, i've got nothing better to do." y/n shrugged his shoulders. "but i don't have health insurance, so if i end up in the hospital or something, i'm gonna make you pay." y/n hissed, pointing at mikey, who only chuckles. "alright, alright."

"welcome to the tokyo manji gang, l/n y/n!!"