Chapter 9: Barren Cosmos.

Riolu looked around in awe as Lycanroc guided him through the gates, a hesitant frown spreading across his face.

The entrance itself was wedged in between two giant cliffs, with an overhang connecting the both of them like a bridge.

It creaked and squealed loudly as Lycanroc pushed it open just a minute ago, proving that it has been standing here for quite some time already.

Further forward stretched out a long and stony pathway, squeezed in between the cliffs that slowly descended down along the path, eventually reaching ground level.

The Lycanroc gulped audibly, presumably out of fear once he heard a Rockruff call his mom, telling her about a blue stranger.

All that could be heard was the voice of a female Lycanroc, brushing off her pup and reprimanding him for interrupting her cooking.

Then the Rockruff returned, running up to the two that just wandered through the gate and striking up a conversation.

"Hi Mister! You don't look like a Rockruff! Are you from around here?" The excited Puppy Pokemon wagged his tail furiously.

Riolu leaned down to speak to the little pup, only to be blocked off by the Lycanroc that was leading him.

"H-Hey there kid! D-Don't mind us, just w-walking around! Shoo, get back to y-your parents..." He mumbled out sheepishly, pushing the Rockruff away.

The young pup grumbled something under his nose before doing as the guard said. The Midday form sighed in relief.

"What is this place anyway?" Riolu asked out of the blue, catching Lycanroc off guard. He cleared his throat loudly.

"W-Well! You see, we are i-in the outskirts of t-the mountain region. Here resides Crimson and his kingdom."

So there is more to this place than the Emanation Pokémon initially thought. He nodded gently in response.

Neither of them didn't say a word as they passed through the many desolate streets that went on forever.

There were no inhabitants present here. Was it because it was so close to the gate? Or maybe it was the scenery?

Riolu furrowed his brows in confusion, taken aback by the fact. The quietude was deafening.

As they went further and deeper into the kingdom, the guard that was leading him began getting increasingly nervous.

Why was he so nervous? Is the king going to punish him for what he's doing?

"We can hear your thoughts, just so you know. You're thinking an awful lot." Shout suddenly spoke up.

This in turn made the small blue furred Pokémon flustered. He tried apologising, but Whisper stopped him.

"Try to calm down. Your heart rate is increasing, and you don't want to be nervous around the king."

"Yeah, I know." He said out loud, causing his guide to cast a quick glance over his shoulder to stare at him.

"Excuse me?" He politely asked, though there was a hint of sarcasm imbued in the words.

"O-Oh, nothing. Just thinking out loud." He smiled and nodded, making Lycanroc turn back around and continue walking.

"Literally thinking out loud." Shout giggled innocently, making Whisper do the same.

Riolu joined in as well, barely stifling the laugh that was threatening to escape his mouth.

The path they were walking on was slowly shifting, getting wider and wider the further they went.