The Beginning Scenes

Hello! I'm very excited to announce that this is the first story I've ever seriously written! Because of this, criticism would be very appreciated :).

Also, I wrote this from an American historical perspective, which is unexpected given I'm Canadian. So, if there are any inaccuracies, please let me know! Thank you!

Side note, if you like the story, I have many more chapters already written that I could post!

2.14.2024

Transition 1

It's a cold autumn night in New York. Town Hall is bustling with rich life. The countdown was on for the New Year. With the stock market crashing for many, it was rather booming for the business titans. Every guest knew 1935 was going to be their year. The party inside and outside is lavishly decorated with gold and silver decorations. Women and men are dressed in their finest attire. Outside of the hall, we are introduced to Charles Weaver, a man of class and intellect. He is one of the top marketers and business leaders of the year. By his side is his fiance, Elaine.

Elaine
(Energetic, giddy, gripping onto Charles' arm. Her speech is erratic and ends up tumbling over her words)
"Oh, dear, I can not wait until we get inside! I heard this is going to be the biggest party of the year- did you hear that the mayor is going to give a speech?! I-"

Charles
(Collected and calm)
"Calm down dear, we haven't even reached the door."

He chuckles.

Transition 2

Once the couple reach the door, it opens up to an elegant crowd of people, music plays rhythmically in the background, and everyone is engaged in conversation. There's a mix of an upbeat and collected atmosphere. We are then introduced to a waiter clumsily dropping a glass of champagne before coming out of the kitchen, he appears flustered. From behind, his boss is heard reprimanding him.

Boss
(Frustrated)
"Benjamin! Be more careful! We can't have you dropping glasses in front of guests! I swear, one more strike, and you're fired!"

Benjamin
(Hesitant)
"S-sorry, sir, absolutely will not happen again!"
The boss lets out an agitated sigh. Benjamin ends up cutting himself while hastily picking up the glass shards in a napkin.

Beat as the characters collect themselves.

Transition 3

Charles flags down Benjamin at the bar. Benjamin quickly rushes over.

Benjamin
(Fast paced)
"What can I do for you, sir?"

Charles
(Calm)
"Would you ever be so kind as to get me and my fine lady a sangria."

Benjamin nods and begins to tend to the drink behind the bar. Meanwhile, Charles and Elaine continue their conversation.

Elaine
(Content/anticipatory)
"We mustn't stay at the bar too long, dear, I'm hoping to see if Mr. and Mrs. Audrey is here."

Benjamin then finishes the drinks and gently hands them over to make sure he doesn't drop them.

Suddenly, a voice can be heard from the stage. It's the mayor.
He clears his throat to make sure everyone is paying attention.

Mayor Simone
(Joyful)
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I'm glad everyone made it to this honorary event to celebrate the greatest achievements of our top business leaders, Mr. Charles Weaver and Mr. George Montaseur. I'm proud to announce that we will be commencing the annual awards shortly..."

The adversaries' expressions are cold as they hear each other's names.

Benjamin watches from a distance. He has a look of longing and admiration for the success of the two businessmen.