CHAPTER I

[A Twist of Fate]

Two monsters were walking along the sidewalk while the rain poured on their umbrellas, the sound of their footsteps hitting the cold, wet concrete floor could be barely heard by the heavy shower.

The sound of thunder rang through the night as harsh gusts of wind blew through the trees, making the bark arch as it creaked disturbingly. Windows of houses and doors were shut, with only a small hint of light inside. The used-to-be bustling streets in the morning now look like a horror story.

The two monsters never wavered, even when the gusts of wind blew through them harshly; they stood their ground whenever it did and then continued moving forward. It was a cold and scary night for everyone to be out, but these monsters were much braver and resistant to the mere temperature of the weather. Or rather- they just lack the nerves for it.

These monsters were skeletons-a rare race of monsters. Their populations are much lower than the average of different races of monsters. Ever since the great disaster that happened centuries ago that led humans and monsters to get heavily sick and almost die out, the skeleton's race was mostly heavily impacted until they found the cure. Which was founded when the skeleton race was almost extinct.

The two skeletons were brothers, the tallest and the youngest was Papyrus and the shorter yet older one was Sans. The brothers just got out of work and were heading home, the youngest was mostly thinking on the way while the oldest was too tired to even think. The two had a rough day at work, although you have high privileges as Elite Elemental Mages your workload is also the same as your privileges. They were still quite young as for monster years they were only 23 and 26.

They weren't far until one of the two stopped in front of a dark alleyway. Noticing the other stop, Sans looked back at his brother with a confused look. "Is there something that matters bro?..." he asked, now walking towards Papyrus who seemed to be frowning.

"NYEH... I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT, I FEEL AS IF SOMEONE IS CALLING ME BROTHER..." Papyrus said hesitantly, his gaze stuck in the darkness of the alleyway. His soul was beating as if communicating back at the being who was calling out to him. His soul was always the sensitive one between him and his brother, he was always the first to know if something felt wrong or if someone needed help. Just one beat of a distressed soul is enough to make him worry.

And now he's getting a communication in the alleyway, it felt so weak and slow that it made him quite scared. What if this fellow needed help? Are they hurt? Are they okay? Questions of concern flooded his soul, making the other skeleton flinch from the sudden negativity that surrounded his younger brother.

"SANS, I THINK SOMEONE'S HURT OR EVEN SOMETHING WORSE..." Papyrus said in agitation and worry, as he looked back at his brother and then back at the alleyway. Sans frowned and looked at the alleyway with concern and cautiousness. "It could just be some animal..." he said to Papyrus but more to himself.

"WE SHOULD GO CHECK IT OUT." Papyrus said in all seriousness as he walked in the alleyway at a fast yet steady pace making no room for Sans to stop him. Sighing, Sans moved to catch up with his brother just to make sure he wouldn't get hurt accidentally.

Summoning magic, Papyrus was able to see better with his ball of glowing light to show the way. It wasn't long until he heard a weak wail. Speeding up even more, his boots hit the wet floor as the wail started to get closer and closer. Until he arrived at the source, looking at the being with pure astonishment and worry.

Hurrying, he took off his scarf and wrapped it around them. Sans arrived just in time to look at his brother whose back was turned to him. "I heard the wail, could it be..." Sans hesitated, he didn't want to think about it but the thought was already enough to stress them.

"BROTHER, IT SEEMS... WE HAVE A NEW MEMBER..." Papyrus said as he turned his full body at Sans who looked at the little bundle in his arms with wide sockets. The little bundle with a small human inside it looked so small in Papyrus's arms and it also slept peacefully because of Papyrus's soul radiating warmth for the child...

Papyrus couldn't help but smile, this little human looked so weak yet still had the energy to even cry just for someone to hear them... Papyrus didn't waste time and moved, picking up his brother on his other hand. He ran as steady as he could to not disturb the baby in his arms.

Within a single night, they received a baby by god knows who. It was a twist of fate for them to be able to meet. And now, it seems they gained not only a member of their cooperation in the future but also a family. What an eventual day.