𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟰 [𝗲𝗻𝗴𝗹𝗶𝘀𝗵]

AFTER my video call with Papa, it was brief. Of course, he checked everything. He inquired about me, especially my studies. He even asked for a house tour to see if I was taking good care of the place, but truth be told, he was just checking on the progress and results of his hard work back in Canada. It's always fulfilling to see your efforts yield good results, right?

"Just make sure you're not bringing just anyone home, okay? You're not throwing a party or anything," his usual strictness surfaced again after dinner, which I just finished a while ago.

I playfully responded to tease him a bit, "No, not yet... our swimming pool isn't even finished. Maybe in about two weeks before I throw a pool party."

His demeanor changed so quickly, "Liam, you're such a troublemaker! Don't you realize how dangerous that is? Stop thinking about that; your ideas won't work. There's no occasion for it."

I don't like that side of him, so strict and seemingly lacking trust in me, so I cut him off, saying, "Papa, easy... you're starting to sound like Mama."

"..."

Oops, I shouldn't have said that. I've never heard silence this loud. Breaking the dead air, I cleared my throat and said, "Sorry, Papa."

He seemed affected by the last thing I said; it's evident in his eyes right now. "No, sorry Liam. If you're still mentioning your Mama even now, even after she left us for another man. Trust me, son, I'm doing my best to be the best father for you and the best mother at the same time."

"No, don't think it that way. You're fine. You're more than fine," I said, wanting to ease the heavy feeling he had at that moment. "You're doing great, and it's already more than enough for me. Just so you know, I don't expect anything more. Everything you do is enough for me to love you."

He fell silent for a moment but then his face lit up with joy. Jokingly, he added, "Hey! Have you run out of allowance? Why so dramatic? You're even sweeter than a baby!"

"It's running low... just kidding!" I replied with a laugh.

After a few seconds of laughter together, he said, "Son, do you have a baby?" Not that baby, I know what he meant. "Oh, there's that smile... it's okay if you have a girlfriend, just make sure you can balance your studies and love life."

I couldn't believe I was hearing those words from him for the first time. "Wow! Is that you, Papa?" I almost laughed, wondering if this was the beginning of him loosening the leash around my neck. Is freedom waving, just like that?

After a few more laughs and stories, Papa bid goodbye as he needed to work. As for me, I needed to get some sleep. I had to wake up early and review for a quiz.

At the university, when I arrived the next day, I spotted Leo waiting on the benches shaded by trees along the pathways leading to Libertians' entrance. There were many students on the benches, but he stood out from everyone else.

How does he do that? Life's unfair. I wish I had the same attractiveness as him. I would absolutely win the most confident award if that happened.

After the long walk, I asked him, busy looking at his phone, "Hey, Leo! Are you waiting for someone? It's getting late, you know."

"You," he replied as soon as he looked up at me. Playing dumb, huh? He obviously saw me approaching him earlier.

"Me, what?" I asked, puzzled.

"You!" He grinned.

"Me? What's with me?" I asked, slightly taken aback.

"Dumbass. I was waiting for you!" He flicked my forehead, causing me to flinch.

"Me? Why?" I asked, my face slightly recoiling as my eyebrows raised in confusion.