𝟐𝟕 | 𝐄𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞.

The dust hadn't settled yet and already the next fight of the night would take place. The guards dragged me to the side lines in order to watch on as Daryl once did for me.

After putting down the walker that consumed my brother, the guards hauled the two bodies out of the center. With a new walker taking the old one's place the Governor now spoke.

"Brother versus brother," He sounded to be finding too much happiness with our demise. "Winner goes free along side our previous champion."

The crowd started to gather around as they once did before. Cheering as the Governor hyped them up for round two. "Fight to the death!"

With his last words spoken he stepped off to the side with Andrea quick to make her case. "Please don't do this. Let them go."

I could barely comprehend what was going on as my head was still in a daze. My minds doing in order to keep me from falling apart.

"Y'all know me!" The crowd roared as Merle raised his hand showing off his confident expression. "I'm going to do whatever I have to do to prove—"

Before he continued his speech he sent a cheap closed fist straight into Daryl's unexpected face. The force knocked him to the ground.

Daryl had rolled on his stomach as he tried to collect himself. Merle giving him no time to recover sent his boot crashing into his stomach. "...That my loyalty is to this town."

My eyes fell from Daryl as he rolled onto his back. My hands were shaking uncontrollably as my thoughts were lost within the chaos.

The sound of gasping brought me back to see a few men now used leash poles to guide walkers out to the fight. The last time I had seen anyone control the dead like that was when Hershel and Rick were trying to put a couple of them in the barn.

They were here to put on a show as the main event needed more flare. The space given to the fighters was cut to a third of what I had to work with.

"Let go of me! He's my friend!" Andrea squirmed trying to break free in order to reach me. The few seconds I spent seeing her she wore a mask of heartache. "Nathan!"

Mayhem broke out as I turned seeing Daryl and Merle standing back to back. They were taking a stand against the guards with walkers as they defended themselves.

When I went to stand the guard directed his rifle in my direction. "Don't even think about it, GI Joe." As if the nickname were new to me he grinned. "Hands on your head."

If I could kill a man with just one look he'd be on the floor choking on his own teeth from my glare.

Raising my hands to rest on the back of my head I looked up to him through my lashes after spitting saliva mixed with blood on his shoes.

He wanted to react however, the sound of gunshots rang out sending him into a panic. As he turned I quickly shot up from the ground. While grabbing the gun he held on me, I delivered a headbutt sending him to stumble backwards. Turning his own gun on him I opened fire ending the fight between us.

Smoke now clouded the air quickly. That along with the frightened town's people now scattered around as they fled for their own lives, my vision was spotty at best. I fired at anyone I seen with a weapon in their hand. It was around the fourth or fifth shot when I heard Daryl call out for me.