Determination

I slowly had awoken, the sunlight pouring onto my face from the window. I groaned, hesitantly getting up to start my day.

I started getting ready for my day, but my thoughts were filled with one thing, "I gotta beat Maria. E. on Scrabble Go." I was determined. I was tired of this random Maria beating my ass in scrabble! This wasn't fair!

She was society's biggest threat. Honestly, sometimes I thought to myself that she was a bot. She was chronically online, always responding back to my moves on Scrabble Go.

I quickly hopped back into bed after starting my day. I immediately open my phone, clicking on the app, Scrabble Go. I saw my mortal enemy had played a turn. It was time.

I immediately returned the move, wasting no time and scoring more points. Sometimes, my thoughts drifted off, and I wondered who this mysterious Maria. E. Is. I was curious...maybe I should shoot her a message during one of our next matches?

I hesitantly clicked on the button to discuss with my opponent. I anxiously typed away, "Hello, Maria. E. I'm Y/N, I know we've played quite a few matches together...I was hoping we could get to know each other better."

I had mostly moved on with my day, awaiting my opponents response. I doubted she would answer. Maybe I sounded too desperate? I wasn't sure.

Soon enough, Maria had responded. "Hello, Y/N! I would be happy to get to know you better. Maybe we can add each other as Facebook friends?" My heart fluttered at the opportunity. I instantly accepted, giving her my username and quickly became Facebook friends.

Despite all my doubts about Maria, she was so nice. Maybe...I enjoy our time together a little too much.

I had soon learned Maria was divorced with three kids, and she was heavily addicted to Facebook and Scrabble Go. Perhaps an alcoholic as well? None of this mattered to me. I was just happy to hear she had found a way to cope.

After a few more months of chatting...I popped the question. It was undeniable. I really...liked Maria. E.