𝟐𝟗 | 𝐄𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐚 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝.

No time spent together feels like enough when faced with the possibility of losing a loved one.
"How'd you find me here?" Danny asked. His grip unwavering as he watched the father carefully from where he stood just outside the small nurses station.

He had been crouched staying hidden behind the desk when he heard the groups unknown voices. Ben had been the unfortunate one to stumble too close forcing his hand.

Allen couldn't remember a time where he felt more helpless than today. The love of his life was fighting against the infection she now suffered from. Trying to buy herself more time as their son, the creation of their once happy life together, was begging for more of his own time against what looked like a deranged man who held him hostage.

"We were running from the dead when Ben found your trail." Tyrese explained as he stood somewhat closer than the couple but not as close as Sasha on the opposite side.

Sasha tried to ease her weight from one foot to the other in order to shift forward. When Danny caught the slight movement from the corner of his eye his attention turned toward her. "Did you not learn the first time?"

"Please, just let me trade places with him." She negotiated much to her brother's disapproval.

"In case the knife to his throat wasn't clear enough, you aren't in a position to..."

Sasha seeing the level of distress and fear that surfaced on Ben's face, she knew he was seconds away from doing something stupid out of pure panic. Trying to avoid another loss of life she interrupted Danny with a certain amount of desperation.

"We're good people and I think based off the dog tags and uniform pants you're wearing, you are too." Her words softened his facial features but he remained silent as he looked from her to the kid in his grasp.

"We followed your trail hoping it would lead to somewhere safe but I'm sure you know by now that safety isn't just a place, it can be people too. Please let us be safe with you..." She shrugged her shoulders in a gentle way. "...because you're safe with us." She promised.

The sincerity in her tone complemented the look she gave nicely. His hand fell from the kids head to rest firmly on top of his shoulder. The knife hadn't be removed but he did lower it slightly. Not fully out of danger however, Ben could now breathe a little easier.

"What'd you do before all this?" Danny asked the woman. She lowered her raised out hands and let them fall to her sides. "I was a firefighter."

"I can see that." A small silent chuckle to himself caused a grin to overrun his frown. His body relaxed enough to release the boy from his hold.

Allen let the few tears that formed go at the sight of his son being out of immediate danger. He cleared his throat as quietly as he could but it still caught Danny's attention. He looked over just as he had wiped his face free of the sadness.

Danny gently nudged Ben forward by his shoulder blade. "Go back with your parents, kid."

Not sticking around for the former soldier to have a change of heart he fled back into the arms of his father. The tightly wrapped embrace made Sasha turn to Danny and nod. "Thank you." A soft smile being exchanged before he walked back over towards where he left his things.

Tyrese, now confident the man was no longer a threat slowly walked over to where his sister stood after picking his hammer up off the ground. "How'd you end up here anyway?"