𝟑𝟎 | 𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠.

Quiet life wasn't what you'd imagine it to be like anymore

Quiet life wasn't what you'd imagine it to be like anymore. If anything, it was full of dread as you sit around and wait for something to go wrong because in this world there was always one thing you could count on— things would always go wrong.

"Finally got the baby to sleep." Hershel had just come to join his daughter, Carl and Jamie where they sat on the steps of Cell Block B.

Beth greeted him with a smile before looking back down to the gun Nate kept hidden in their cell. He had a handful of bullets for it that wasn't included in the rest of the groups stock. He told her it was only to be used for emergencies, especially now since ammunition ran practically dry.

She fumbled with the bullets as she placed them one by one in the mag. Nate didn't like the idea of keeping it loaded since they shared a cell with Jamie. So until the day where she'd go through her gun training like everyone else did, they'd keep it unloaded but stored together with the mag and bullets. Beth decided she'd carry it since he and Rick were both away.

"How are we on formula?" Carl asked just as she had finished up. The safety would remain on until immediate danger presented itself. She slid the weapon underneath her soft pink blouse she wore for Nate thinking he'd come back today. It found its temporary home in her waistband.

Hershel watched her as he answered the question. "We've got enough for about another month."

Beth noticed her father's look of disapproval. "Nate taught me how to shoot and it's just until he comes back."

Hershel understood the need for it but still hated his youngest daughter having to do such a thing. It was hard enough watching the guys train Maggie all winter.

He gave her a small grin putting the situation at ease. Carl, now back from his own thoughts spoke filling the air with new tension. "I'll take Carol for some more formula at the end of the week."

Beth responded before Hershel knew what to say. "Your dad and Nate will be back by then. The others too." The lack of emotion on Carl's face as he responded caused for concern. "You don't know that."

He turned from her to look up at Hershel. "Right now Jamie and Judith are the only family I've got."

Hershel admired the boy as he knew there was no talking him out of going. He'd just let him make his plans and hope that the others would return before it came to that.

The conversation ended abruptly when they heard a spine chilling scream being echoed through the prison.

"What was that?" Jamie now spoke from where she sat on the steps just above Beth and Carl. The more screaming that they heard confirmed what Hershel thought. "It's coming from inside."

"Was it Carol?" Carl's worry made Jamie panic as she scooted down the few steps to be closer to Beth.

"She's out keeping watch up in the guard tower with Axel." Hershel answered.