14. Opening night (part 1)

Lucas POV

Despite his early hesitation, Lucas admitted that Kyle kept his promise and exceeded his expectations. They went for a rustic, hand-painted wooden sign named "Empanadas Haven" for the signage at the entrance and got some neon lights illuminating the letters during the night as if they were the entrance to a vibrant world of colors and flavors. Kyle also planted coriander, rosemary, and basil plants in mismatched pots for greenery and practical cooking.

Inside, Kyle commissioned photographs of traditional markets, streets, and cultural festivals worldwide and painted mustard yellow walls to create a cozy atmosphere. Some elements were red to evoke a South American aesthetic. He also found woven South American textiles for table runners and cushion covers.

Lucas chuckled for some time yet felt grateful for Kyle's effort.

Kyle devised ideas beyond a simple store, wanting to put spices on display and have an interactive spice bar to allow customers to smell and learn about the different spices used in the recipes. He created a design with a visible preparation area so that customers could see how the food was made to build trust and interest, as well as a cute chalkboard menu to show the daily specials and fun facts about empanadas and ingredients. As finishing touches, they agreed on getting hanging lanterns for a warm, inviting glow. They had a sampling platter with mini empanadas for the customers to try and decide which ones they wanted to order.

Lucas also worked hard to prepare a few new creations for their venture. He spent some time trying different combinations. In the end, he settled for a combination of lamb, chickpeas, raisins, and a touch of harissa; chicken marinated in harissa paste, combined with roasted vegetables and feta cheese; and another made with ground beef seasoned with ras el hanout, mixed with chopped dried apricots and almonds.

Exhausted but happy, the duo opened their store on a Thursday after inviting every soul they knew from their faculties. The first to arrive was Lilian and her boy Joao; she brought a big bag of roasted coffee and handed it to Lucas with a smile.

"A gift," Lilian said, admiring the rustic sign and the neon lights that had just started to glow as the evening set in.

Lucas nodded and got the pot inside, dexterously preparing the earthy drink and handing it to Kyle and Lilian.

Lilian beamed as she sipped her coffee. "You can make some good coffee," she said, her eyes drifting to the potted plants by the entrance. "And the herbs are a lovely touch. It makes the place feel so homely."

As the sun set on the horizon, people started to arrive at the shop. Manuel stepped up first; after greeting Lucas, he selected four beef and olive empanadas and two cheese empanadas for takeaway. Manuel sat at a table adorned with a colorful textile runner and waved to the new guests, Victor and Tatiana. They had empanadas filled with chicken, and Lucas came forward with some coffee, chatting with his friends.

Tatiana glanced around at the mustard yellow walls and the photographs. "So, he is the famous Kyle?" she asked, her fingers brushing over the woven table runner.

Lucas nodded.

"And he is paying for all of this?" Victor asked, eyeing the spice bar with interest.

Victor and Tatiana looked at each other and smiled, leaving Lucas puzzled.

Lucas looked around to see where Kyle was and couldn't find him. Before Lucas could locate him, Professor Ortiz entered the store with his wife, an old lady with olive skin and dark almond eyes. Lucas smiled and came forward. He had spent some time thinking about preparing some specialties and fortunately got some yellow and pasca chili in the Moroccan shop.