Arriving

Kayla sat on a bench in the window of her room staring out the window at the rain. She was wearing a pair of jeans, a star bird symbol graphic shirt, white ankle socks, purple sneakers, and a flannel jacket that was her dad's. Her thick black hair was pulled back in twin braids tied with two orange rubber bands. Her hair had a blue tint. Her face was covered in cuts and dried blood. She was holding a small stuffed bear wearing a red hoodie with a yellow star on it named starlight.

 She was holding a small stuffed bear wearing a red hoodie with a yellow star on it named starlight

Her dad's shirt was a little too big on her. She was lost in her thoughts, and had tears forming in her emerald green eyes. Her face was covered in cuts and dried blood.
She was pulled from her thoughts when she heard a knock at her door. She turned around to see her big brother standing in the doorway. He had sandy brown hair and bright blue eyes. Nick was sixteen years old and Kayla was thirteen years old. They were three years apart but very close. He wore jeans, a Star Wars rebels Ezra Briger shirt, a pair of white socks under red sneakers. He had a small concerned look on his face. "Hey, Kayla, you okay? I haven't seen you since we got here." He asked. She wiped her eyes and turned to face him. He came over and took her in his arms, holding her tightly. He also had a beat up face. The two of them just sat there staring at the rain storm. Kayla broke the silence. "I know we just lost them but I already miss them." She mumbled. She balled up the extra sleeve material and put it to her nose, taking a deep breath in. Nick knew that she was referring to their parents. They had just passed away in a car accident. "I know, Kayla, I miss them too" he said. Kayla now had her head on his shoulder. He looked at her with a smile on his face. Kayla was asleep. He gently lifted her head up and grabbed a pillow. He put her on the pillow. Putting a blanket over the sleeping girl, he kissed her whispering, "Sleep tight baby sister." He walked out of the room closing the door behind him. Later that night he checked on her. She was still asleep. He heard a little noise, almost like a little hum.

Apparently Kayla had heard it too because she was now sitting up and wide awake. Suddenly a big portal opened up. It was red and purple the colors faded away to white in the middle. Kayla suddenly screamed and tried to get hold of something, Nick grabbed her wrists, but was still pulled through with his sister.