Laundry

"Stay out here. I'm going to get a cup of coffee."

My mom doesn't drive so we had to walk everywhere. We were going to do laundry. I was really hoping that nobody mistook me for a homeless person. I didn't have the most expensive clothes but they were decent. Heck, they were pretty nice.

I stood outside the store for about two minutes before someone who was walking by started looking at me. He didn't look that old. He didn't really seem creepy either. Then he came up to me.

"Do you need some help?"

"No. But thank you."

"You're going to the laundromat right down the street, right?"

"Yeah."

He held out his hand. "I'm Calum."

I shook it. "Lea."

"Okay, um, I don't want your mum to think I'm some pervert, so I guess I'll get going."

"Do I look that young?" I shifted my weight to my left foot.

"No, I just thought she might think that I'm a lot older than you and-"

"And I'd tell her off like I always do when she says something dumb."

"Wouldn't you get grounded?"

"Nope. I would if I lived with both of my parents."

"You're parents are divorced?"

I stepped on one foot with the other. "Yeah."

"Hey, my friend Luke does that," Calum said, looking at my feet. Then he walked over to the wall of the store I had been standing near and pressed his back up against it, putting one foot flat up against the wall as well.

I looked up at Calum. "What kind of music do you like?"

"I'm glad that you asked. I'm actually in a band." His smile widened like he was waiting for me to ask the question I was about to ask.

"What kind of band?"

"Punk rock."

"Punk rock?"

"Yeah," he said, grinning but shifting his weight from one foot to the other. Then he took out his phone. "See?" He showed me a picture of him and three other boys.

"Well you're not a boyband, and I know that because you play instruments."

"You're smart."

"Can I have your autograph?"

"Sure." He pulled out a permanent marker. "Where would you like me to sign?" I looked at my body.

"Ummm..." I held out my wrist with my hand facing palm side down.

"Okay," he said with a chuckle.

"I wonder what's taking her so long," I said once he finished. "Hey, can I have your phone number?" Calum's eyes widened with surprise.

"Sure," he said with a smile. We exchanged phones and when he gave me mine back he put his name in as Calum the pervert. I laughed. I just put my name in as Lea.

"Wait, let me make sure I put in the right number." He gave me the phone back. I changed my name from Lea to Lea you don't have to call me if you don't want to. I gave the phone back to Calum and he chuckled. "I don't have a good sense of humor."

"I can tell." We both laughed. Then I saw my mom coming out of the store.

"I have to go, bye Calum."

"See ya," he said, smiling and waving as we walked in different directions.

"Do you know him?"

"Yeah... he's my friend's cousin," I lied.

"Why didn't you ever tell me about him?"

"I did, but it was a few months ago." My mom is terrible at remembering things, so hopefully this would go well.

"I don't remember you telling me that but okay..."

Then we started walking again.

If you would like to continue this story, please let me know.