6. Friends from faraway places (part one)

TWO WEEKS LATER

Lucas POV

Living with Kyle had become a new rhythm for Lucas, balancing his studies with their shared routines. Kyle's love for coffee was slightly corny and unexpected, and Lucas amused him as he took pleasure in preparing it. In return, Kyle often brought home sandwiches from work, a gesture Lucas cherished.

After long days, Lucas would arrive home to the comforting aroma of food and find Kyle engrossed in a book by the window, occasionally with a cigarette, always mindful of Lucas's preferences.

Amid these tranquil days, Lucas's calm apartment environment allowed him to reflect on his past with Jacob. His grief from the betrayal had turned into anger and nostalgia for a sweeter time. Despite the pain, memories of their travels through Spain, swimming in the Mediterranean, and enjoying croissants in Paris remained bittersweet.

Yet, sometimes, Lucas's pain resurfaced through minimal, inconsequential things. Lucas and Kyle often had evening conversations that contrasted with Lucas' final days with Jacob—moments of silence, neglect, and unresolved arguments. The memory of Jacob's emotional distance still stung, driving Lucas to retreat to his room one night, leaving Kyle puzzled yet supportive.

The next evening, Lucas confronted Kyle. "I left abruptly yesterday. Aren't you upset with me?"

Kyle shook his head gently. "I understand heartbreak. I once loved deeply, only to see her marry someone else. I buried myself in work afterward. I know the need for solitude."

Locking eyes with Lucas, Kyle continued in a reassuring tone. "You're healing. It takes time. If you want to talk, I'm here."

Lucas nodded gratefully, their bond deepening subtly over the following days. He started noticing changes in himself—moments of comparison between Kyle's supportive gestures and Jacob's self-centered actions. Where Kyle offered walks in the park or visits to cultural spots, Jacob would demand attention or withdraw emotionally.

Gradually, Lucas realized Jacob's gestures were about validation, not genuine connection. The realization weighed on him, prompting a hesitant decision to confront Jacob after weeks of deliberation.

They arranged to meet at a Romanian bakery near Plaza Mayor, a location resonant with memories of happier times.

The gray and black cobblestones of the plaza evoked nostalgia, reminding Lucas of their first Christmas together. Nestled discreetly near one of the plaza's entrances, the bakery's facade boasted ornate carvings and wrought iron fixtures reminiscent of Transylvanian architecture. 

Approaching the bakery, a palpable sense of intrigue mingled with the inviting aroma of freshly baked pastries and a subtle hint of something darker, adding to the mystique.

"That's right," Lucas recalled, thoughts drifting to their shared memories. "We came here on Christmas, both of us with colds, seeking warmth and chocolate. I remember it vividly—our first big argument."

Jacob's hand on his back brought a comforting presence. "No, the first was two days earlier. You wanted the festive Madrid atmosphere, but I had to visit my mentor. I was too caught up in my world to see what you needed."

Lucas was sharper, cutting through the nostalgia. "You were always caught up in your world, Jacob. Even when I was failing and needed you, you were thinking about what you wanted. It was always about what you needed."

The words hung between them as Jacob gestured towards a quiet corner inside. "Let's sit down and talk."

Entering the bakery, Lucas and Jacob were greeted by shelves adorned with tempting pastries, their golden hues shimmering under soft candlelight. A tall, elegant man at the counter supervised the pastry-making, accompanied by a striking girl with raven-black hair. The air was rich with the aroma of crimson-stained croissants, the house specialty.