Chapter 1

The violet furred she-cat glided lightly down toward the brilliantly glowing green Stone, peering around cautiously, being careful not to set off any unseen traps. Even the flick of a feather could set one off. Lower and lower she drifted, extending her claws to delicatley lift the precious Rock from where it sat, nestled into the floor of the cavern. Her heart beat so loud inside of her fluffy chest, so that she was greatly concerned that a net or a rope might fly out at her on account of the rapid beating inside. But, nothing did interfere.

The cat snatched up the Stone, and deftly swept back upward and out, into the broad daylight. She descended onto the rocky shore of a river, and her wings ached to the very ends of their feathers from the precarious flying she had just done.

On her side was firmly strapped a pocket, just large enough to conceal the green glowing gem. It was impertinent that she keep it safe, and get it back safely to her ship.

Presently a greenish head popped out of thin air several tail lengths away, and a crisp "Hello" was hailed. "Hey, AJ!" It said, "Did you get the Firefly Stone?"

AJ sighed. Comet couldn't be any more obvious! He was always doing things like this, and although he meant well, he honestly was endangering them all. "Comet!" She hissed. "Shush! The whole galaxy will hear you yowling! You musn't be so transparent. Now let me in and let us be off!" She tucked the Stones securely into the pouch under her wing and sprang for an opening in the air which revealed her ship's presence.

The door closed, and Comet began apologetically, "I'm sorry, AJ. I didn't mean to act so mouse-witted. I suppose next time I shall just discretely pop out of here and go fly to where you are, shouldn't I?"

AJ licked his ear good-naturedly. "Yes, I suppose so. I know you meant well." She took the Firefly Stone out of her bag. "Here it is. Comet, would you please take it to the hold where it will be safe? Carefully."

"Of course." Comet nodded and gingerly picked the glowing thing up. But curiously, he just paused and stared at it.