𝟎𝟎𝟑. you're in charge

★

★ . ꜝꜞ ᳝ ࣪ CHAPTER 003! 💌 ɞ˚₊
❛ you're in charge ❜
( real life )

THE FIRST DAY back at school was always one of the worst days at school; especially when it was the start of a new grade.

When driving to school that morning (and blasting Taylor Swift), Amelie felt a strange wave of nostalgia. She vividly remembered her elder sister driving her to school for their first days a year prior, Lacie's senior year and Amelie's junior.

Now, the latter was driving their youngest sister, Scar, to her first day of middle school while she was entering her last year of high school. How times change.

Before leaving for school, Dr. Everlark — Amelie's father — had made Scar and her take a photo with each of them holding a board saying which grade they were in. For example, Scar's had sixth grade, while Amelie's had twelfth grade.

Almost as soon as Amelie stepped foot in school, she saw Jared. They were in the same grade, sure, but she saw him a literal millisecond into being in campus. Not that she didn't want to see him, he was her friend, it was just awkward.

Nevertheless, she waved to him once she passed him in the hallway, but she didn't take her eyes off him until she bumped into somone.

"Ow! Excuse you!"

"Oh, my god, Gen!"

"I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention." Amelie apologised.

"Oh it's you," Gen frowned.

Amelie fought back a sigh. That was Gen, Genevieve, whatever. They were best friends, but post-middle school, for reasons to do with her popularity and Amelie's lack thereof, they were then decidedly not.

She looked Amelie up and down, "Cute boots," she mockingly saluted. "We thank you for your service."

"They're vintage, but I got them on Etsy," Amelie rolled her eyes.

"And they're amazing!" Emma walked up to them and chuckled. "Not everyone can pull them off, but Amelie can rock them!" she then glanced down at Gen's shoes and smiled innocently. "But for you, cuz, well, let's just say it's probably a good thing you're playing it safe with those Uggs."

Emma. Ems, Em — anything, really. Gen's cousin, one of Amelie's best friends. Not that she had many, anyway.

"You know what, Emma?" Gen said. "Screw you, 'cause you know that my feet are always cold."