Synchronized Heartbeat

"Sorry, this'll feel cold for a second." The doctor informs me with kind eyes behind her glasses. Using a special glove, the brunette carefully spreads the gel like liquid over my exposed swollen belly, before returning back to her chair.
"Okay, let's see how your baby is doing, shall we?" She turns her head and smiles at Levi and I.
I lean my head back slightly on the bed, and watch as the doctor fixes her glasses, readying the ultrasound monitor.
Levi sits in a chair beside me, legs apart whilst slightly hunching over. His hands are clasped together tightly. Multiple raven strands of hair cover his forehead and his lips are parted as he looks at me. I reach out for his hand and smile, and he squeezes it in response. His expression is neutral, however not so much foul as he often portrays. We both turn our heads to the monitor as the doctor exclaims that the baby is doing "absolutely fantastic" and all is well.
Levi's eyes widen as he watches the screen and its tiny movements.
"Sure getting big." He mumbles, still holding my hand.
"You're right! Your wife is 29 weeks now, Mr Ackerman. At this point I can happily tell you both the gender too. Would you like to know?" The doctor asks excitedly.
"Yes! We'd love to know. Wouldn't we sweetheart?" I say, turning to Levi.
He shoots me a smile then and glances towards the doctor, nodding in approval. With his free hand, he puts it behind his neck awkwardly. You give his hand another squeeze and beam at him in reassurance.
"Congratulations. It's a girl."
I squeal in happiness. A girl. Levi had always anticipated on having a son but nevertheless he would love to have a little daughter of his own.
Levi's expression softens making my heart flutter.
"I'm going to turn the sound on now so that you can hear the baby's heartbeat. Sounds kind of like a running horse!" The doctor chuckles.
The small room fills with the sound of a small heart beating almost in sync with mine. I gaze towards the monitor and stare in awe.
"She's as healthy as can be." The brunette tells us.
"Here, you can take home a picture of her if you would like." She says, handing a small, square black and white photograph in Levi's hand, which he then slips carefully in his back pocket.
"So Mrs Ackerman, have you experienced anything abnormal during your pregnancy? However don't fret, back pain, sickness, and swollen areas are all a normal and natural part of the process."
I ponder for a moment.
"Not that I can think of." I tell her. "My pregnancy has been going smoothly so far."
Levi lets go of my hand and crosses his fingers, giving me a wink.
"Ah. That's great news." The doctor says.
Turning off the monitor and wiping down my stomach, she smiles warmly at us, handing me a leaflet about what to expect after 30 weeks. After thanking and saying farewell, Levi and I head back hand in hand to our car.
He helps strap myself in, despite protesting that I was completely capable of doing so myself, he still persisted to. For 29 weeks, I'm quite large. I'm so big now that a simple task like putting on my shoes requires assistance from my husband.
After bickering to him jokingly about helping me too much, he heads off onto the road.
I watch Levi as he drives and admire his thin, furrowed eyebrows and narrowed eyes. His side profile is really something. As we approach a red light, he catches me staring.
"What you looking at?" He says blandly.
"My husband." I reply, grinning.
He turns his head to the rear of his side window so I can't see his face and I hear a chuckle escape his lips.
"I'm really happy that we're having a girl, (Y/N.)" He says after a while, his eyes never leaving the road.
I see he has only one hand on the wheel so I seize the chance to place mine on the other.
"We should start thinking of names soon." I suggest, staring out the window.
The sun is setting, painting the most beautiful ombre sky of oranges mixed with pinks.
We pull into our driveway and unlock the door to our little apartment. It's not much, but it's what we'll be calling home for years to come. It still needs decorating, according to Levi, but I think it's perfect the way it is.
Levi practically throws his messenger bag onto the couch and sinks down into the comforting pillows that surround it. Letting out a large sigh, he closes his eyes. Remembering the photograph in his pocket, he pulls it out and takes a moment to stare at it. A smile forms against his lips. He traces the outline of the baby's head down to its tiny feet with his fingers softly.
I stand in the kitchen, making us both a cup of tea. As I cast my gaze out to the sunset shining through the small kitchen window, I feel a sudden kick. I hold my hand above my stomach and look down, smiling.
"Oh, hello. You're awake now are you?" I whisper, laughing quietly to myself as I place the cups of tea on a tray.
I hear Levi move from the lounge area. I must have summoned him with the smell of tea. He stands now leaning against the doorway, arms crossed and clothes slightly creased from lazing on the sofa, watching me whisper silly things to my stomach.
"Are you talking to her?" His lips curve into a smile, his face illuminated by orange rays of light from the setting sun.
I giggle, nodding.
"You caught me. Here, come feel." I beckon him over.
The short man unfolds his arms and scoots over to where I'm standing.
He makes eye contact for a brief moment then lifts up the fabric of my (favourite-colour) tank top so my belly is exposed. He places a warm hand to my stomach and looks at me again, this time lovingly. My eyes never leave his gaze and I begin to laugh with a hand covering my mouth at his face. I have never seen him like this before. His mouth is wide open and his pupils are dilated.
"It's amazing. I can feel her in there... Underneath my hand." He kneels now, pressing his lips against the hard skin of my growing belly making me blush due to the unexpected show of affection.
Then, placing his hand on my stomach again, he does the sweetest thing imaginable.
"Hi there. It's daddy. Yeah, the cranky short guy who kisses your mommy a lot. Can you hear me? That was a dumb question. Me and your mommy love you very much. I hope you're not causing your poor old mommy here too much trouble."
"Hey!" I shout at the word 'old'.
Levi runs his skinny fingers through his black hair and stands up, letting my shirt fall down again as he towers over me. He may be short, but I'm a lot shorter. So much that I'm at perfect height for forehead kisses. He pulls me close, kissing my forehead gently and then my lips. The kiss is sweet yet passionate. I close my eyes in his warm embrace, my arms wrapped around his skinny but muscular frame. Feeling another kick, I jolt in surprise.
"Guess she knows who her daddy is!" I chuckle.