Mending A Broken Heart

“I’m sorry to tell you this young man, but your father couldn’t make it.” a doctor told a pre-teen boy, with raven-black hair and deep bronze eyes. He wasn’t even looking at the doctor when he told the young boy the terrible news. He didn’t even flinch or bicker. His eyes were hidden within his black bangs, showing only half his face. “Roy, did you hear me? Your father just died from alcohol poisoning. I’m so sorry.” the doctor told him again, still the young boy didn’t respond. “Do you have any idea where your mother could be?”

“No. My stupid dad chased her away when he was drunk. I haven’t seen her in weeks.” Was all young Roy could say. His voice was chirpy but yet upset. He never cared that his drunken father died, he deserved that. And he even got drunk on his son’s 13th birthday, just an excuse. And his mother abandoned him too. Now Roy was kept in an orphanage since the death of his father. He was all alone, he didn’t even cry or showed any signs of pain to anyone. Like an emotionless, living dead boy. He only hid his depression to himself. His drunk dad is dead and his mother ran away, on his birthday. Didn’t any of them cared?

As nobody was finally around him in his room, Roy curled his arms around his knees and buried his sobbing head in them. It hurt just hiding the pain deep down inside. He never cared if his bastard of a father died, but his beloved mother left him when he needed her. He felt all alone in the world. He was starting to think about giving up on life.

Suddenly the door of his bedroom opened and a small little boy popped his head in. He had blonde hair in a cute little braid, as golden as the sun. Even his wide little eyes were gold, like little gold coins. He noticed Roy crying on his bed, not noticing the little toddler coming in. As innocent as can be, the small child rested his head on Roy’s shoulders and wrapped his small arms around him. The young boy finally noticed this and saw the little child hugging him.

We were strangers starting out on a journey
Never dreaming what we'd have to go through
Now here we are and I'm suddenly standing
At the beginning with you

“Why are you cwying? Are you dat sad?” His cute little voice sounded out. Roy made no move to push the tiny boy away from him. “Why bother? My dad just died and my mom’s gone for no reason. I don’t care that my dad’s dead. But my mom….she left me….on my birthday.” Roy sadly told him, wiping away his tears, though new ones formed from his eyes. The small boy looked up at him and saw how handsome he looked with those sad, yet beautiful deep eyes. “I don’t know what I’ll do, I’m all alone now. My life is nothing now.” He sobbed, tears running like a river on his face.

“No you’re not. If you need a fwend, I’ll be the one.” The small blonde chirped. “You’re a nice person. I like you all weddy.” All those words made Roy perk up. He looked down at the cute child. “Are you Roy Mustang?” The child asked. “Yes, how did you know?” He said, his eyes widen of wondering how the small toddler knew about his name.

No one told me I was going to find you
Unexpected what you did to my heart
When I lost hope you were there to remind me
This is the start

“My mama heard about you and she was given this pwetty present from a fwend of hers. She said it was for you. I think this gift was from your mama.” The small blonde said, suddenly pulling out a gift wrapped in a bow. He handed it to Roy, and the older boy wiped away his tears. He slowly opened it and reviled a pewter-made pocket watch with some sort of symbol on it. ‘This is…..this is mother’s alchemy symbol! But this has a lizard on it. Could this be from mom?’ Roy desperately thought, staring down at the watch. He then noticed a small note at the bottom of the box the watch was in. He plucked out the note and read it:

To my dearest and only son, Roy,

As you read this note, I have been assigned to the military in Central. They have assigned a mission for me that will lead me far away from this country. I never asked for this, but I cannot refuse. I don’t know if I’ll ever return home to you. And I know that it’s your birthday coming up. So don’t get discouraged, Roy. This is the very thing that will lead you to me. Remember that you have my fire alchemy within you. If your fire alchemy extinguishes, then that means that I have extinguished. So don’t give up on trying to find me. I will make sure that we’ll find each other one day, maybe when you’re a little older. Wherever I might be, I’ll always think about you, my son. It just breaks my heart to leave you all alone in the world. So the one thing you can do is never give up on your life. I’m sure as you journey to come find me, you will be able to find someone else who will make you happy. Remember Roy, you’re never alone in this world. There are good people out there who will love you as much as I do. I promise you that one day, we’ll be together again. So please have faith in me and yourself, and find me. I’ll be in your heart, Roy.