The Letter

Published may 2011

this is a story i wrote years ago, in seventh grade, i think....anyway, its old, and pretty much sucks, but oh well......

"Leia, Danielle," Sarah called. "What?" Leia asked grumpily. "Will you guys read me a story?" Sarah asked. "Sure." Danielle and Leia agreed. They then picked a random book off of the shelf. "Weird, it has no title." Leia stated. "I'll read first." Danielle offered.

"'Once, there was a land that was a lot like ours, except animals inhabited it. In a small town called Embville, Old Dog got a letter. No one knew what it said just that it troubled him greatly. No matter how hard they tried he wouldn't tell anyone about it. One day he told everyone to hide underground and stay until he told them to come out. There were nine of them other than Old dog that did not have to hide.'" The page came to an end.

"Girls, time for bed." The girls' mother called.

Danielle said, "Now it's time for bed, Mom will get mad if you stay up, we'll read more tomorrow." Leia and Sarah went to bed grumbling about wanting to read more.

The next morning they woke up in a strange place and looked around. When they did they all screamed, for they were looking into the faces of a cat, a monkey, and a wolf. "Awesome I'm a monkey!" Leia exclaimed. "I'm a cat!" Sarah yelled. "And I really feel like eating both of you." Danielle said sarcastically. Then a thought crossed their minds, and Leia and Danielle exclaimed "The story!" "Were in the story!?" Sarah asked, surprised. "I think so." Danielle answered. "Let's go find out what's going on." Leia said and began to walk to the steps. The wooden steps creaked as they made their way up. The stairs led to a kitchen with a large round table in the center. At the table sat a brown bear, a dog with a brown spot on his forehead, and a rabbit.

The dog said, as they walked in, "Good morning you three. Did you get a good night's sleep?" "Um, yea, I guess." Danielle replied, confused. "Where are we?" Sarah asked. "You were traveling from out of town and stayed here last night, remember?" The rabbit asked, worried that she didn't remember. "Just go with it!" Danielle snarled at her sisters, so low that only they could hear.

The bear walked them to a small cabin and asked, "Did you hear about the letter?" "Yes." They all said and thanked him. Then they walked into the cabin. "So we need to find an underground hideout and then speak to Old dog." Danielle said looking at the two beds and table that took up most of the space. Then she saw a door in the back and walked through. It led outside to a small path. The path led to a cave. "This explains why there are only two beds." Danielle mumbled. She showed her sisters the cave and then they went to talk to Old dog; part of the cave was underground.

When they got to Old dog's house he said, "I'm busy and can't talk now, sorry." and shut the door. Danielle stuck her paw out and stopped it and said quickly, "We know you got a letter, we don't know what it said but we know your thinking about hiding everyone underground." When she said that, he told them to come in and asked them, "Who are you and how do you know that?"

"I'm Danielle, and these are my sisters, Leia and Sarah."

"We were reading a story and one part said that one day Old dog got a letter that troubled him and days later he hid his people underground." Sarah explained. "And when we were reading this we were not animals, we were human." Danielle added. "Human! How is that even possible? Not many of us even know about humans." Old dog said and began pacing. "How do I know if I can believe you?" He asked after a minute of thinking. "You'll just have to believe us; we've got no proof." Leia said. "Actually, I think we do. How could we possibly be sisters if we're all different animals? That will be our proof." Danielle said. "Okay, fine, I believe you. What happened in the book?" Old dog asked. "Well we didn't exactly finish it," Leia said, "we only read one page." "Well we need everyone to hide and the reason I wanted them to go underground is because I don't know where else we could hide them." Old dog said, still pacing. "If you want to you can come and talk to me later." He added in a very low voice. Normally no one would have heard, but with Danielle having a wolf's hearing, she heard.