Chapter 1

My fingers tapped on my desk, the nails making noise. I felt anxious, not because of school, but something I heard.

It was thirty minutes into class and he wasn't here yet.

'Maybe Emelia was wrong,' I thought. 'Maybe he isn't in this class.'

I regretted thinking that; the tapping of knuckles on wood rang out.

The teacher stopped reading and went to the door.

I silently prayed, hoping that someone would hear me, but no one did.

In walked in a boy, a faded turquoise Mohawk the first thing noticeable. He wore a band tee shirt, the sleeve cut off, a leather jacket, jeans with holes and a chain on his belt, and combat boots. A smirk played on his face and I find myself in a trance, unaware of what he's telling the teacher.

It wasn't until he was walking down my row did I look down, paying attention to my paper. I silently curse at myself when I notice the little scribble heart with An and I's name. I tore off that corner and slipped it in my bag, hiding the evidence.

When I sat back up, I notice An sitting in the what was once empty seat right next to me.

'Just don't pay attention to him,' I thought to myself. 'Just pay attention to the lesson.'

I turn my attention to the front of the class and notice the teacher writing something on the board. Everyone else in the class was taking notes.

I quickly pull out my notebook and in the process, knock my pencil off my desk.

Before my mind could comprehend what had happened, a hand reached down and grabbed my pencil. The hand reached out to me and I look up to see An staring at me. His eyes were dark, almost like an abyss, and I found myself ready to fall into his gaze.

I snap myself out of it and took my pencil back.

"Thank you," I whispered to him.

"No problem, rich girl," He said, turn back to the front of the class.

That comment hurt, and I wanted to tell him that what he said wasn't true, but I couldn't find the words to come out of my throat.

I turn my attention back to the class and I started to take the notes. A dull pain in my chest.

💖✌💖

"So? Was he in the class? Was I right?" Emelia asked, her blonde curls bouncing as we walked.

"He was thirty minutes late and he sat right next to me. So, yeah, he is," I told her, stopping at my locker.

She squealed and hopped up and down. "I knew it, I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!"

"Yes, you did," I said, taking out some books from my back pack.

"And he's sitting right next to you!" she exclaimed. "Has he said anything to you?"

"He called me rich girl," I told her.

"Yeah, and?"

I look over at Emelia and just look back to my locker, grabbing my drawing pad. "Nope, nothing else."

I never told Emelia about my family problem. I don't think anyone at this school knew. If they did, they wouldn't be calling me rich girl.

"Cami?"

I look over at Emelia, "Yes?"

"Are you staying after school again?" She asked me. Her expression to me read disgust.

"Yeah, I am," I told her.

"Why?"

"Because I want to," I told her. "See you tomorrow."

She sighed and slumped a bit before standing straight again. "Alright, I'll see you tomorrow," She said, turning away. As her heels clicked on the tile, her hair bounced.

I turn and made my way to the art class.

I walked into the empty class and sat down on one of the stools. I flip my pad to a clean page and tap my pencil on the page.

I tried to think of something to draw, but my mind kept going to An. All I could think about was his limp, faded Mohawk. His thin lipped smirk. His dark smoldering eyes. His pale white skin.

"You're day dreaming again, Ms. Gardens."

I jump and quickly look over. Ms. Water, the art teacher, was smirking at me. I look down at my sketch pad and curse silently.

In my state of absent mindedness, I drew a very much detailed sketch of An, from the Mohawk to the small scar of his jaw.

I quickly slam the pad shut and brushed it off the table. It hit the ground with a thud.

"We are not talking about this," I told her, my cheeks warmed up.

She chuckled and walked over to her desk.

"You've been sitting like that for the past hour. I think your step mom is waiting for you outside," Ms. Water said.

I grab my sketch pad and slipped it in my back pack. I slipped it on my back and started to walk out.

"Bye Ms. Water," I said.

Suddenly, I ran straight into someone. I yelp and jump back.

"Sorry," I said, looking up only to see Ava, An's best friend.

"It's fine, don't worry rich girl," She said.

She stepped to the side and I quickly walk past, ready to go home.

💖✌💖

As Cami walked away, a small slip of paper slipped out of one of her pockets. Ava walked over and grabbed the small, torn off paper.

Before she could call to Cami, she noticed the heart that surrounded 'Cami + An'. Ava looked up as Cami walked out the school, before smirking.

"This is going to be fun," Ava mumbled before slipping the paper in her pocket.