Chapter I

Japan, 1997, Tokyo

The black sedan moved through Tokyo's traffic. Inside Makima sat in the back seat, her gaze fixed out the window.

❛ ━━・( )・━━ ❜

Makima

"She's got more control issues than your ex, but with better hair."

Job: Public Safety Devil Hunter

❛ ━━・( )・━━ ❜

Her driver, a man named Hirano was in his mid-forties with trimmed hair and a calm face.

❛ ━━・( )・━━ ❜

 Hirano

"His life goal is to be as irrelevant as he looks. So far, so good"

Job: Public Safety Devil Hunter (Probably. No one really knows.)

❛ ━━・( )・━━ ❜

Hirano cleared his throat, trying to ease the silence. "It's a nice evening, Makima-san," he started, aiming for friendly conversation. "The weather's been clear lately, makes driving through the city a lot smoother."

Makima turned her head slightly, offering him that trademark smile. "Yes, much better than the rain last week," she replied even and polite.

Hirano continued. "I hear you've got a meeting with Prime Minister Ishita today. Must be important if it needs your attention directly."

Makima's eyes drifted back to the window. "It is," she kept her tone light but giving nothing away. "There are matters that require careful handling."

Hirano waited for her to elaborate but when she didn't so he pressed a little further. "Ishita-san has been focused on national security lately. With everything that's been happening, people are on edge. The government's trying to keep control, but..." He trailed off, leaving the sentence open.

Makima glanced back at him still smiling but with something in her eyes that made Hirano feel like he was standing on the edge of a deep well, "Yes, there are always concerns to address," she agreed. "But Public Safety is handling them. We're taking every necessary precaution."

Hirano nodded, though he felt a bit disappointed she hadn't shared more. Still he knew better than to expect too much. Makima was always careful with her words, especially when it came to matters that were classified. "I'm sure you are, Makima-san,"

"You could say that," she replied. "It's a situation we need to monitor closely. The Prime Minister and I will discuss the best course of action."

Hirano noticed she still hadn't mentioned what the situation was, or what kind of threat they might be dealing with. He wasn't surprised. Makima was a master at revealing just enough to satisfy curiosity without actually giving anything away. "Is it related to... any particular devils?" he asked carefully, knowing it was a long shot.

For a split second, something like amusement showed up in Makima's eyes but she didn't answer directly. "It's a precautionary discussion," her voice shifted into a more official tone. "We're reviewing our protocols, ensuring that we're prepared for any eventuality. That's all I can say."