Chapter 1: It's Raining Demons

Tuesday, August 22nd , 1871.

Charlotte walked through the crowds of bustling people, keeping her head facing the floor. She wasn't used to moving, especially to places as crowded as the innovating city of Chicago.

'Go look around!' Her mother had said, 'It'll be fun exploring your new home!' she had said... Yes mother, this is absolutely exhilarating...

Just as she just about had it with the busy cobblestone streets, a rain drop hit the tip of her nose.

"Oh great... is this rain?" She put her hand to the sky and felt the droplets hit the smooth skin of her hand. Of course it is.

Her mother has warned her about these so called "weather demons", but it's not like Lottie had never seen them before. She'd seen enough demons to make her fear their power. She had even once encountered one at her home back in Lansing, but her mother had killed it before it had time to do anything.

Her mother was a strong woman that Charlotte always looked up to. Even now that she was seventeen she wasn't going to take chances.

She ducked inside a nearby shop, not even bothering to check its name, and sat on the hard, dusty, wooden floor. Finally away from the wretched rain, Lottie raised her head and looked around the small dusty store.

There were only a few people strolling around in the store. No one seemed to even notice Charlotte, of course. She pushed herself up from the creaky floor and started walking around the store.

The shelves were filled with gears and tools, some even containing small automatics. Slightly impressed by the wide collection she continued to walk, her head facing the shelves.

Clearly enjoying herself, her small expedition came to an end when the side of her face collided with something hard.

Staggering back a bit, she tripped over her own shoes and landed on the floor. She put her hand to her face, "Ow! What w-" she immediately shut her mouth when she noticed a tall figure in front of her.

She had crashed straight into a boy.

She found herself looking into the warm brown eyes of the boy as he extended his hand out.

"Have you been seeing those things outside too?" The stranger asked with wonder in his eyes.

"What?" He had to be talking about the weather demons, right?

"Those black creatures with the pointy teeth and claws." He made gestures with his finger trying to show the teeth and fang. "They appeared right when it started raining a-and one of them attacked me so I ran inside my shop." He explained as he pulled her up from the ground, looking her straight in the eyes.

"Are you talking about weather demons?" she asked, tilting her head in confusion.

"So you've been seeing them too? Okay so I'm not going insane... Good," he let out a sigh of relief.

"I should be going..." Charlotte began, a look of concern on her face.

"What? No! You have to explain these creatures to me," he grabbed her elbow in attempt to stop her from leaving.

"I hardly know you. You could be an axe murderer."

"Well, I'm Scott Clayborne and now you know me. I can show you around town, you're obviously not from around here." He said loosening his grip on her elbow, a smirk plastered on his face .

"I guess..." Charlotte sighed looking at the floor.

"Great!" Scott exclaimed, a smile replacing his previous smirk, "we can go after my shift is over."