The Broken Contract

The Best Friends Contract

1. I promsise to always listen to my best friend.

2. I promise to keep in touch with my best friend constantly.

3. I promise to be there when my best friend needs me.

4. I promise to always be honest with my best friend at all times.

5. I promise to never keep anything from my best friend.

6. I promise to help my best friend to become a better person.

7. I promise to set aside my school work and myself when my best friend has problems and needs to talk.

8. I promise to always let my best friend be the first to know everything and anything.

9. I promise to laugh WITH, not AT my best friend.

10. I promise to never do anything to screw up our friendship.

11. I promise NOT to fall in love with my best friend. EVER.

Chloe Chism Ethan Saterright

"Now you write your name over here." I smiled. Ethan smiled and laughed, "Here?" "Yep. Right there." After he finished, I giggled, "Lets go play now, okay?" I grabbed his hand and we ran outside.

That was seven years ago. The contract had not been breached. Until today apparently.

"Chloe, I think I've done something bad." Ethan whispered into my ear as I hugged him. "Should I be worried? Did you break the contract?" I was scared he was about to say that he didn't like me anymore and no longer wanted to be friends. He looked down at me and smiled. "Its alright .I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." His words comforted me. "I guess i over reacted a little though, I'm sorry as well." I knew it was the truth. " Hey, Chloe, do you want to come over to my house tonight? I rented us a movie." He asked hopefully. "Sure, as long as it isn't scary." I liked his house. It smelled like him. We began to walk home, holding hands and having a great time as we always did when we were together. I ran into my house looking at my drunk mother and sighing. "Frmagd!' She said, displeased with the way I moved\kicked her out of the hall way. "Love you too." I exclaimed rather pissed off myself.

I packed my things and walked next door to Ethans' house. His parents were always on business, so they waited until he was old enough, and proclaimed that he could live on his own. Two years ago when we were ten, we thought that it was a horrible Idea to leave him on his own. Now it's just awesome. I went in without knocking to find him setting up the couch for us to sleep on. "Finally! come on lets change into our PJ's and watch the movie." He grabbed his clothes from his room and we changed in front of each other. "What movie did you rent?' I asked curious. "Some chick-flick or somethin'." He responded. I raced him to the couch, but he beat me.

He turned on the TV and put in the disc. The movie was stupid. The girl was stupid. The boy was stupid. Everyone was stupid. But as the ending got closer, the couple became more intimate. They were only kissing at first but it got more and more intense until they weren't wearing anything, and Kalid and I were so shocked we couldn't move to turn it off. Our mouths opened and we looked at each other. I got up, ran to the TV, and turned it off.

"Well, that escalated quickly." Ethan said, still looking at the now black screen. "Okay, for one thing Ron Burgundy never said, 'Well, that escalated quickly.' He said, 'Boy, that escalated quickly.' Notice I said BOY."