Prologue

"Yukine! Wait!"

"Sorry, Yato. But I'm done with you."

"Please, you're all I have left!"

"Serves you right. Bye, Yato."

"Yukine..."

"I said we're done!"

"Then..." Yato sighed sadly. "At least... Let me release you..."

Yukine's gaze seemed to soften, if only for a mere moment. "Fine."

Yato sighed again, deep sadness in his eyes. Slowly, he drew Yuki's name in the air. "Yuki, I release you," As he spoke those words, the red marking on Yuki's collarbone shattered and dissipated, signifying that he was free. "You served as a great Regalia, and I won't forget you..."

Yukine simply nodded once, turned around, and walked away with his hands in his pockets, not looking back.

Yato watched him walk away until he was out of sight. He pointlessly hoped that Yukine would come back. He hung his head and closed his eyes, as a single tear rolled down his cheek.

Almost ten years later...

"I... I never really was the same... After that day..." Yato muttered to himself and looked up towards the gray, stormy sky, the breeze ruffling his hair.

Rain started to fall, and thunder rolled in the distance. A flash of lightning lit up the sky, dancing across his ice blue eyes. Yato just sat there on the park bench, not caring.

Suddenly, the rainfall stopped, and Yato looked up to see a gray umbrella above his head.

"H-hi... You looked a little wet... So I thought I could help... Oh! I-I'm Kiyoshi, Kiyoshi Izumi. What's your name?"

Yato looked at the young teenage boy sitting beside him. "I'm Yato... Uh, just Yato."