Part 1

You throw the hood of your cloak over your head and step outside, the cold air immediately slinking through your clothes. You shiver and make your way across the bridge. The sounds of men calling out, babies squalling, and dogs barking surround you. Despite the fishy and tar smell of Lake Town, it is still your home and you love it. With your wicker basket gently hitting the side of your hip, you swiftly make your way to the market. "Oh, good morning, Y/N. Nice to see you today." James, the marketeer, greets, while sorting through some vegetables. "Good morning, James." You return, giving him a smile. You get your items and then bring them over to him. "How's business?" You ask, dishing out the correct amount of money. "You know how it is." He mutters, shaking his head. He looks up at you. "I think I'm going to have to close shop." He says sadly. "No." You breathe, frowning. He shrugs as you put your things in your basket. "That's awful." You state. He nods. "It's the master that's causing all of this. The price of food is going to skyrocket because taxes are so high. No one will buy my goods." James explains. "I am so sorry." You say. Another shopper comes into the market and you nod your goodbye to James. As you make your way back home, you can't shake the feeling that someone is watching you. You shudder, not from the cold, and eye your house which is still a ways away. "Well, Ms. Y/N, you're looking absolutely ravishing today." Alfrid Lickspittle purrs, stepping into your path. You pull upright and jump back slightly. "Alfrid." You breathe. You put a hand to your racing heart. "You-you scared me." You state. He takes your hand away from your chest and holds it to his chest, right above his heart. "I tend to do that to beautiful young women like yourself." He says, smirking. Your body goes rigid and you give him a tight smile. "Well, if you'll, uh, if you'll excuse me I should be getting home." Alfrid starts slowly massaging your hand and smiling down at you. "What do you say me and you get some grub or something?" He asks. You look away, throwing up a little bit in your mouth. "Oh, no thanks." You say, starting to pull your hand away from his. Before you can pull your hand from Alfrid's grasp, he quickly wraps his arm around your waist and turns you into a dark corner between three houses. You push against him but he holds you tightly. "Let me go!" You exclaim, just as his lips cover yours. Your eyes widen and you struggle even harder to escape him. You pull your head back and are able to scream, "Help me!", just before he winds his hand in your hair and kisses you again, this time more deeply and crazed. Your eyes wildly search for an escape route, but unfortunately Alfrid is blocking the only escape. Suddenly, out of nowhere, someone hits Alfrid in the back of the head with a long thick wooden plank. Alfrid's eyes widen and he falls away with a groan. You breathlessly look at his unconscious body and then lift your eyes to see Bain holding the plank. He tosses it on to Alfrid, his eyes narrowed. Bain looks at you and rushes over to you. "Are you all right?" He asks. You nod. "You-you saved me." You say. He shrugs. "I'm Bain." He says, holding out his hand. You take it and shake it. "Y/N." You return. "I'm so sorry he was bothering you." He mutters. "I've seen Alfrid around many times. And he's pestered me too. But it was never like this. It never went this far. He'd usually just leave me alone." You say, rubbing your arms. Bain sighs and frowns, shaking his head. "I'm going to have to have my da talk to him about leaving you alone." He says. "Your father is Bard the bargeman, right?" You ask. He nods. "Good man, your father is, Bain." You say. Bain smiles and his eyes spark up. You know he thinks very highly of his father. "He is." He says. He bends and picks up your basket. "Can I walk you home?" He asks. You smile. "Sure." You say. Together, Bain and you start making your way back home. "Surely I can repay you someway." You say to Bain, once you're at your house. He shakes his head. "I couldn't possibly take anything." He protests, holding up a hand. You snap your fingers. "I know! I'll be right back." You say, rushing into your house. You quickly go to your small, almost barren pantry, and pull out a loaf of fresh bread you made last night. Wrapping it up into a clean cloth, you run back outside. You hand the bread to Bain. "For saving me from the vile Alfrid Lickspittle." You say. "Y/N, I don't-" He says. You wrap his hands around the bread. "Take it, Bain. Please." You say softly. Bain looks at you and smiles a little, taking hold of the bread. "Thank you, Y/N." He says appreciatively. "I-I wish it was more." You say. "This is more than enough." He insists. You smile and shrug a shoulder. "Well, I should be getting home. My father will be wondering where I am." Bain smiles, before slowly walking away. "Your father's proud of you, Bain." You state suddenly. He turns and looks at you. "How do you know that?" He asks. "I just know." You chuckle. He grins and holds up the bread slightly. "Thanks again for the bread." He says. "No, thank you." You return, smiling.

[THE END] I hope you liked it!