I

luke was tired. exhausted, even, the same way he was every night. but truthfully, he wouldn't trade this feeling for the world, because with his daughter sleeping by his side on the couch they slept on most nights, he already felt like he had it.

sure, the flat was small, they shared the same bedroom and he couldn't afford to buy her new clothes every month but here he was, the best four year old he could ask for in his arms as they watched peppa pig for an entire night.

it was nearly unbelievable how similar arabella was to luke: the same button nose, same pale skin and the same blonde hair. the only difference was her eyes, her mothers warm green.

arabella's mom died during childbirth. and although luke was sad that she passed and that arabella was growing up without her mother, it wasn't as big of an inconvenience as you might expect.

the thing with luke and caitlin was that neither of them loved each other, and they both knew it. caitlin grew up with strict parents who spoiled her with money and gifts to keep her content. but as she got older, she got wiser and she realised that she didn't want money and gifts, she wanted herself.

and then luke came along. he wanted sex, she was desperate to rebel from her parents. and so they came to a mutual agreement to date, but neither of them loved the other. when caitlin found out she was pregnant, they pretended to be happy about it but secretly they were both worried and scared. they were both only eighteen, just adults themselves and now...now they would have a child to look after. a baby.

but of course, things never work out the way you expect them to. luke had to buy a one bedroom flat to accommodate the girl he didn't even love, because her parents were so angry they kicked her out. and she stayed with him, in the small flat for nine months and with the help of luke's mom, they brought their very own baby into this world.

but as one life entered, one left and caitlin's funeral was a week after arabella's birth. arabella was bundled up in her little pink blankets as luke held her in the church, only him and a couple of caitlin's friends to wish her farewell.

she was a tragedy disguised in a world of money and cars. and it was sad, it really was. maybe that's why luke agreed to meaninglessly date her, because he felt sorry for her.

the one thing luke would forever be grateful to caitlin for was arabella. although he didn't love her, he loved arabella and he believed that although caitlin died, at least she died while creating a new life.