The Past

My parents had always been disappointed.  Not in me, of course.  As a matter of fact the loved me and the person I was becoming.  What they we're disappointed about was my gender.  The Phantomhive's have had a thriving successful family tree with at least one male in every past individual family to successfully carry on the Phantomhive name.  Never would my parents  have ever imagined that our family would be the ones to change that.  The long chain of men was broken, along with my parents' hearts. 

/flashback/

"Ciel," my mother called me. "Yes, Mother?" 
"There's something very important we need to discuss with you," my father stated in an extremely serious tone.
I was eight at the time.
I listened closely.
"We love you truly for who you are. You know that, don't you?"
"Of course," I replied.
"But unfortunately you cannot become an earl...well...because you are female.
Nevertheless, the Phantomhive name is one that must be carried on with dignity and pride one way or another. It simply cannot end here," my father stated.
"We need you to become an earl," my mother told me.
"But you said that I cannot because-"
My father interrupted me. "No.  There is one way that you can."
He knelt down to my level and came face to face with me.
"Ciel, you must be raised as a boy from this point forward. It is the only option we have. We have no other family. They all died long ago. You are the last Phantomhive child that is left.  Will you do this? For us? For yourself? For the Phantomhive name?

"Yes."

"I'll do it!" I shouted with all the passion and determination in the world.

/end flashback/

Then,  two years after they told me, it happened. The fire.  Their deaths. Everything.  I almost lost my own life.  And then our contract was made.

"Sebastian."

"Yes, my lady?"

"No.  I am Ciel Phantomhive.  Son of Vincent."

"Ah, forgive me. Yes my lord."