s k y t r a i n s

Ella was always in love with the skytrain. She loved how the air brushed her face and sent her hair flying east or west when the train arrived. She loved how she could watch people come and go and try to figure out who they were. She loved that she could plug in her headphones, get lost in her music and watch the scenery constantly change through the windows, even if she'd seen the city a million times--there were always more things she could find if she looked hard enough. The skytrain was special to her.

Luke, on the other hand, absolutely despised it. He hated the sound of the train moving and people talking. He hated how obnoxious people could be on the train, pushing whoever they wanted just to get on or how they'd spill coffee on the train and pretend they didn't do it. He hated that he had to sit on and touch places that thousands of people had already been and see empty bottles of alcohol lying around occasionally in the corner. And to make matters worse, Luke was way over six feet tall and was thoroughly disgusted over being squashed between big crowds of people and getting their hair caught in his mouth.

But Ella loved the skytrain, so Luke went with it. Because Luke loved Ella and Ella loved the skytrain, Luke would put up with it.

Yes, Luke loved Ella. He loved how she found things like the skytrain fascinating. He loved how she always grabbed his hand when they boarded the train because she didn't want to lose him and how she sometimes still held it because he made her feel safe. He loved that she always subconsciously mouthed the lyrics to the songs she was listening to and he especially loved when she gave him one of her earphones when she thought he'd like the song (he always did.)

But it seemed to Luke that his feelings were not returned. Every time Luke would ask her if she liked anyone, she'd reply something along the lines of 'I'm too young to date,' or 'I won't just like any boy. He has to be special.'

So he'd stay her friend. He'd stay by her side whenever and wherever, no matter what. Being with her was close enough to being with her.

That night, there was a school dance. Of course, the pair already knew they were going together. They didn't need to ask each other, they already knew there was nobody else they'd rather go with. But Luke knew they weren't really going together. Ella and Luke were simply just going. Together.

And so Luke showed up at her house at six o'clock in a black tuxedo and bowtie, beaming as Ella interlocked her fingers with his. She grinned as she twirled in a pretty little dress and pulled him out the door. Naturally, even though Luke could easily drive her to the school, they took the skytrain because that's what Ella wanted. Luke closed his eyes, stuck close to Ella and it was over quickly. Their night began.

Through the night they danced, twirling and swaying until their feet wouldn't let them. Bright lights flitted across the dance floor, illuminating their faces. Luke could pretend that she was really his, that they were really together. He felt his heart soar. As the end of the dance neared, Ella pulled Luke to the side, twinkling but heavily breathing . She leaned against him, resting her head on his shoulder as she let her eyelids droop. Luke's heart threatened to jump out of his chest.

But then one of their classmates came up to them to say hi. It was going so well--until their classmate decided to ask the question Luke had been dreading, the question he had prayed nobody would ask: "So, you guys are dating?"

And Luke's clumsy little heart had shattered more violently than glass when Ella's eyes snapped open as she answered, "No."

So Luke had tried to ignore the fact that the only thing he ever really wanted was right in front of him and he couldn't have it. He just kept on dancing, losing himself in the music the way Ella did on the skytrain. He moved his hips from side to side and he twirled Ella around, but he really couldn't live in the fantasy he'd created in which Ella was his and he was Ella's.

The night went on, people got tired, and soon it was all over. Ella and Luke exited the hall, and despite the fact that the two could get a ride with one of their classmates with ease, Ella loved the skytrain.

So they paid their dollar and seventy five cents each, hopping onto the next train. Ella immediately began her usual routine--plugged in her earphones, swayed to the music, and stared out the window. A sad smile grew on Luke's face as he studied her face.

Then a screeching was heard from the very front of the train like the sound of a dying whale.

Suddenly the train lurched to left, then to the right, Ella falling into Luke's arms as metal scratched against metal. Men and women's screams surrounded the two. People were thrown across the train as a voice rang through the speakers.

"Please stay calm. The train is currently experiencing some technical difficulties. Please exit at the next station and board a new train."

Luke sighed, pulling Ella up and holding her waist so she didn't get lost in the crowd. As per usual, she shoved her hand in his and pulled him forward. "Luke, we have to go. Our parents are going to kill us if we're not home soon." He squeezed her fingers in reply.

After a minute of rocky and uncomfortable travelling, the train stopped at the platform.

They jumped off the train, Ella pulling Luke to a bench in the middle of the station--but he pulled her back, looking at the exit. "Luke!" Ella yelled over the crowd of people. "Luke, what are you doing?"

"We won't be home in time if we wait for the next one, it'll be awhile before they get this one off the tracks," Luke explained, practically dragging her down the escalator. Reluctantly, she jogged to keep up.

"We won't be home at all if we miss it!" Ella whined, tugging on his hand even though she knew Luke wouldn't give.

They were standing outside now. Luke spun her around so she faced him, then proceeded to pull a twenty dollar bill out of his pocket. "We'll call a cab."

Ella blinked four times. Her lips parted. Then, slowly, she nodded. "Okay."

A bright yellow cab soon appeared around the corner and the two of them got in. As Luke gave the driver directions, Ella plugged in her earphones again and handed one to Luke.

"Don't worry," Luke whispered. "there's always a way to get back home."

Then the ride was silent--apart from blaring guitar riffs and the pounding of drums--until Ella began to giggle.

No--she didn't just giggle--she bursted out laughing, her eyes crinkling as she grinned like an idiot. Luke, startled, looked at her with big eyes.

"What?" he asked. Ella didn't respond, just kept giggling and chuckling uncontrollably. "What is it?" he prodded.

She calmed herself enough to look up at him. "You're a skytrain, Luke."

"What?" he asked for the third time in five minutes.

Ella looked away, focusing on the already dark road in front of them. Her eyes scanned the sky, watching for the first star of the night.

"You take me places," she muttered under her breath. Luke watched a rosy pink creep up on her cheeks. "All the places I want to be. Wherever, whenever--but you always find a way to bring me back home." Ella reached between them, finding Luke's hand. They felt their fingers intertwine--naturally, because that's just how well they fit together. Naturally. "I see you almost every day but I always find something so fascinating about you. Really, Lucas. I could get lost with you but know exactly where I'd be going," Ella let out another short laugh.

"You're a skytrain," she repeated, her tone intense, but careful and fragile. Luke heard something laced into her voice, a feeling that screamed at him, telling him she meant more than the literal meaning.

Luke didn't really know what to do, but she seemed happy, so he gave her a smile. Dimples drilled into his face. "You know I hate skytrains, Ella."

"But did you forget?" she grinned up at him. Ella's music played softly in their ears. "I'm in love with skytrains."