The Plague

A loud, boisterous cough fills the silent room, waking me out of my sleep and into a dark world full of pain and misery.

It takes me a minute between the pounding in my head and the aching of my body to realize that that loud gravely cough was none other than my own.

I groan and try to sit up, but that only makes my bedroom turn into a fair ride and I end up falling back against my pillows, followed by another boisterous cough.

"I heard it. Your sick, aren't you?" My mother sweeps into the room, concern heavy in her eyes, while she feels my head "yep, you have a fever, you're staying home today, young man"

I groan again, attempting, but sadly failing to sit up for the second time "but I have a presentation due today with Kyungsoo hyung, I can't let him down"

"Would you rather get him sick?"

I whine, jutting my lip out for sympathy "no"

My mother nods, pressing her lips together into a thin line in distaste at my pout "now what are your symptoms so I can get you medicine, what do you feel like?"

I cough once again "I think I'm dying, it might be the plague... Just call the mortician and tell them they can pick my body up in a couple of days"

My mother sighs and rolls her eyes "so... a cold?"

"Oh how nice, my own mother is in denial now that I'm dying. Don't worry mom, you can go on without me, you'll be ok. You're young enough, you can have a new family after I'm gone" I rasp out, while grabbing my mothers hand.

She smacks my hand away and shakes her head at me "even while sick as a dog, you're still a smart ass... I'm going to go get you medicine, then i have to go to work, can you postpone your death till I get home?"

I look up at her and lift my eyebrows dramatically "death waits for no man"

She pinches the bridge of her nose and walks from the room, towards the bathroom where our supply of medication for every type of ailment is held "I'll make sure to get the drowsy kind so you'll sleep all day"

"It's kind of you to want me to pass soundly in my sleep. You're a good mother" I call out, and follow it up with a couple of gurgling coughs.

"Take this and quit being an over dramatic baby" my mother says handing me a couple pills and a glass of water.

I do as she says and sit back "what happened to you, you were once so kind... has my dying turned you bitter? Are you angry at the world for my condition?"

"Oh my god. Jongin, you have a cold, not the plague. I'm going to work. Call if you need anything" I open my mouth but she holds up a hand "no, calling to discuss what the afterlife will be like, is not a valid reason" she then turns on her heel and walks from the room. That woman knows me so damn well. Too well.

I shift in my bed and yell as loud as I can, knowing she's still in the house "just because I'll be gone doesn't mean you can act hateful to the world mom. Trust me, you will love again" my words are answered with a loud bang of the front door, forcing a small giggle out of my mouth, followed by a fit of deep rumbling coughs, making me regret my amusement.

I start to feel slightly groggy, so I decide a little sleep will do me some good, so I roll over burritoing myself inside my blankets and soon the wonderful embrace of sleep carries me away from the pain of this plague that will surely take my life.

>>>>

I wake up around lunchtime, and blink up at my window offended by the blindingly bright light flowing in through it.