The Beginning of the End

Year 2110:

The world which we once knew has long since been destroyed; ravished of all it's resources from centuries upon centuries of human destruction and devourment.

Humans: the ultimate consumers.

They have managed to consume every last drop of food and water that the Earth had to offer, transforming something once so beautiful, with all it's stunning nature, liveliness and greenery, into a dusty, dry badland of deserts that stretches as far as your eyes can see, at least in most parts of the world...

There were always the richer countries that had tried to maintain a certain facade in order to keep their people satisfied and content under government rule. Making a show of pretending everything was fine still, so that the working class citizens would continue on with their lives, going to work and supporting the government. They would do things like roll out artificial grasses overtop of dead parklands and use holographic trees that were programmed to display off the stumps where once beautiful, old age trees had been chopped down after all the trees and bushes began to die, everywhere across the Earth.

It got to the point that if you ever did see a tree or a shrub, lush green grass or a flower even, it was guaranteed to be a fake; a mere replica of what once was.

It was no use however, the people didn't believe the fallacies, and they were rapidly losing trust in their governments that a solution was near.

The population on Earth in 2015 was 7.3 billion; and that was the last year Earth had enough water to sustain its vegetation crops, greeneries, feed the farm animals, feed man made lakes, to sustain its people. In July of 2015, the state of California went into a record breaking drought, their governor immediately announcing a state of emergency.

Within months, California wasn't the only part of the West Coast of North America that was losing water, the drought swept the coast like a plague, rapidly engulfing the nation in its loss of water. Canada was affected by the drought within days of California announcing their state of emergency.

Lakes began drying up, front lawns and parks' grasses turned various shades of brown, and water stopped coming out of taps when they were turned on inside people's homes. It was drying up everywhere, and at record breaking speeds unlike anyone had ever seen before.

Coast lines changed entirely as the oceans all around the world seemed to be swallowed up inside of themselves, appearing to do so overnight. With the ocean water disappearing, it left behind crude formations of coral reefs and dry sand dunes, vast caverns and fjors that once were a marvelous sight to see, with beautiful glacier rivers flowing through them into the ocean.

The many sea creatures who once called the ocean their home were rapidly going exinct, forced to go and survive amoungst each other inside what was left of the ocean; small pools of water here and there, hardly deep enough to house a dolphin, let alone a whale.

The news stations began broadcasting helicopter views of the massive ocean loss around the globe. It was terrifying to see carcasses of some of the most fearsome ocean predators lying, dead and decomposing amoungst the dried up ocean floor. Sharks and swordfish, whales that had deteriorated to mere racks of ribs and rotating flesh.

Vultures circled and picked at what was left, but worse still were the gangs that had formed who camped and cooked their meat on open fires in the middle of the dried up ocean floor.

The gangs had been waiting for a moment like this, everyone knew it. They were rogues, rebels; people waiting for the loss of order in regular society, waiting for the apocalypse. They kept outside of the city walls mostly, tearing through the oceans on their motorcycles. They killed and robbed any vagrants who wandered haplessly into their domain.