One Meeting

ONE MEETING

"Who goes to learn football in America?"

"I will," James said, his Uncle Garrett frowning suspiciously at his quick response. He had to sound confident or else they weren't going to let him go. After almost three years of learning how to manipulate his Uncle Garrett and Aunt Millie, he wasn't about to let it all go down the drain.

Millie shook her head, her sprayed perm jostling over her slender shoulders. "This is ridiculous," she said and Garrett agreed with his obstinate wife on the matter with a grunt.

"I want to go."

"Go to a camp here." Garrett said, dark eyes dismissive as he gave his watch a quick glance.

James had completed almost every training camp available, not to mention he was a far more accomplished player than most in his age category, and they knew it. "I've done them all."

His spoilt older sister returned from one of her regular shopping trips then, puncturing the tension. She tossed her tightly wound strawberry hair over her shoulder while flashing her brother a quick smile and dropping her singular white paper bag to the long mahogany table. "What are you all discussing?"

"Absolutely nothing." Millie took an interest in the clothing Sophie had just purchased, and James couldn't help but think about the dent his sister was making in her trust-fund.

He leaned forward to interrupt. "I need the paperwork and plane ticket by Tuesday."

"It's not happening, James."

"What are you on about now, brother?" His sister turned her nose up at him.

"Don't you have something better to do, Sophie?" He refocused on his aunt and uncle. "I want to go."

"It won't further your skills; it's America. You won't be broadening your horizons." His uncle attempted to be diplomatic, but if James just came out and told them why he wanted to go they'd lecture him again on how he needed to be more responsible.

"He wants to broaden something."

Sophie's pretentious giggle annoyed him enough to turn in his chair towards her. "At least I can get laid, Sophie."

Her eyes narrowed to slits, her death glare giving him a small spark of amusement.

His aunt and uncle were not impressed, though, and the comment might have just destroyed his escape for summer break. So, he decided to throw in one last sweetener.

"It's not even co-ed. I purely want to go to learn."

Millie and Garrett shared a mutual and concerned expression with each other before looking back at him. "Fine," they said in unison.

James paused at their abrupt agreement to allow him to leave. "Really?"

"You never stop till you get what you want." His aunt stood. She appeared as though she was going to say something more, but instead she turned away and her clicking heels gave her exit a sense of ominous finality.

Garrett lagged behind, patting James' shoulder in congratulations as he passed by.

Sophie snatched up her bag. "What's your problem lately? Why did you just convince them to go to America for football?"

"Because I want to." He stood, wearing a triumphant grin. "And because staying here with all of you makes me want to kill myself." Turning to leave, he waved a hand over his head and happily left his sister for the solitude of his room. For the first time since his parents' death, he was going to have unregulated freedom and he couldn't wait for it.