When life turned to dust

Hello. My name is Brooke, I'm 17 as of two months ago. My hair is jet black, I dyed it so much as a young teenager, while you could still steal water and dye from abandoned stores, if you could survive the radiation. As I was saying, I dyed it so much I guess it just stained my scalp, yeah, I don't understand it either. Um, I have dark brown eyes, with green rings around the outside, yes it's a thing, rare, but a thing. I'm about 5'7, and in my combat boots 5'8. I guess I should tel you about what happened when I was 11 before I go much further.

*Fashback*

A loud booming came from the front door. I looked out the window to see three soldiers waiting impatiently.

"mooom... someone's at the door"
My mother rushed to the door, opening it as quick as possible.
she's been watching the news for the past three hours, and all of a sudden runs to the door?
Shaken from my thoughts as I heard my mother scream.
"BROOKE! RUN!"
Making a dash for the kitchen and grabbing the largest knife in sight, before I bolted out the back door.
I heard boots heavily pounding after me while I ran down the road. Out of breath, losing strength, and energy, I still ran, relying on adrenaline and fear to keep me going.
"STOP RUNNING WE NEED TO GET YOU TO SAFETY!" The soldier yelled after me.
"NO..... YOUR GUNNA......TAKE ME....AWAY!" I screamed out if breath.
I must have ran at least three quarters of a mile by now. Without realizing my speed started to decrease, quickly. Feeling a strong hand on my shoulder I turned and stabbed the soldiers hand.
"KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF OF M- OK I'LL STOP!"
The feeling of the cold round barrel of a gun against my forehead changing my sentence in a matter of seconds
"The next time you don't comply to our orders the trigger will be pulled."
The solider stated boldly.
"A soldier has no rank above citizens, get that barrel off of my fucking face!" I screamed full of confidence from choosing my first swear correctly.
With a crooked cocky grin smeared across my face, there was no time to react to the butt of his gun slamming into my head.
*****************
I awoke with a migraine so bad it was radiating through my feet. As my eyes adjusted to the dim light, I realized I was in, my basement? I stood up rather slowly and began to look around. Mom was here to.
Running towards her and shaking her, nearly yelling for her to wake up.
"brooke?" She croaked.
"Mama? What happened? "
She looked around, and became suddenly more aware, sitting up with worried eyes.
"Never mind what happened, I will tell you later, where's Rowan? "
"I think he's in his room sleeping, why?"
My mother got up and sprinted out of the room, faster than I've ever seen her move.
"MOM! WHATS GOING ON!" I screamed as I heard her forcing my older brother down the halls.
"BROOKE STAY DOWN HERE, AND DON'T COME OUT UNTIL YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO!" She screamed while pushing my brother down the stairs.
"MOM WHAT THE HELL!?" Rowan boomed as mom threw down blankets from the bedrooms.
"There's food and water down there wrap yourselves in these blankets as soon as I close this door. Cover your faces and DO NOT LOOK OUT THE WINDOW, DO YOU HEAR ME!"
"Um, wait what, why... yes?" We both manage to stutter before mom spoke again.
"Alright, I love you both very much! Never doubt yourselves, ever, and don't, come searching for me, I will be right in the living room, you may not see me, but that is where my body will lie" she spoke calmly but rushed.
Kissing us both on the heads and hugging us tightly, she slipped a necklace over my head and whispered in my ear "do not lose this or take this off, I'm going to give you a letter of where to go. This necklace will keep you both safe. As long as you have it." She gave my brother a sealed letter and told him not to open it until we had no choice but to leave this basement.
"I love you both so much." She cried before slamming the basement door and locking it.
"Wrap yourself in your blankets Brooke." Rowan said softly.
"We n-need to cover our fa-faces." I stuttered quickly.
"I LOVE YOU MOM! SO MUCH!" I cried before covering my face and hugging Rowan. This basement was hot, and having to cover ourselves in blankets only made it worse.
"Rowan?"
"Yeah?"
"What's happening?"
"I don't know, but I do know one thing, I'm fucking scared shitless."
If we weren't so close I doubt we could hear one another, to many thick blankets as a sound buffer.
Hugging him tighter, a sudden bright light started to shine through the blankets. What ever it is, its bright, and lasting. So bright I had to close my eyes, even the blankets didn't keep back the light. Before I could even try to wrap my head around what the light is and why it was so bright, the whole world seemed to shake. A shock wave hit our house, knocking both me and Rowan over onto the floor. *BOOM!* the loudest thing I'd ever heard, I couldn't hear, anymore, more shockwaves hit the house, I think the loud noise happened a few.more times, I couldn't hear them this time though. Soon the shockwaves got so strong, small chunks of cement from the celiling started to rain down on us.
Was this an earthquake? What's happening!? What was that light? Why did mom leave? What did those soldiers want with us earlier? Questions without answers flooded my head, faster than I could understand, while the house continued to shake, but slowly it was getting weaker and weaker, until it was gone.
"Rowan?" I tried to ask but couldn't even hear myself. So I just hugged him tight.
Hours past, the basement was pitch black, I refused to take my blanket off of my face to check, I think it was about 9 or 10 maybe 11. It was around 3 p.m when mom pushed Rowan down here. MOM! WHAT HAPPENED TO MOM! I had the sudden extreme urge to run upstairs and find her. I felt Rowan put a hand on my shoulder, and a bubbling sound came from his direction, my hearing, its coming back!
"Rowan, where's mom?" I asked, even though to me it sounded more like 'Rowawama?'
"Tha li ro" was all I heard I think he said 'the living room'
Suddenly rembering mom saying not to go looking for her, for she will be in the living room, even if we don't see her.
*******
Dim light filtered through the blankets, ugh, I can't take it anymore! They're coming off! I quickly yanked off my blanket and gasped.
The basement, it was a mess, the window was shattered, chunks of the celiling littered the floor, I looked around and saw Rowan sitting next to me with a painting mask over his mouth, while holding out another for me to put on. Quickly snatching it and putting it on I turned back to Rowan.
"What happened? !" I asked, hearing it correctly, finally I can hear.
"I think we got nuked" he stated while standing up and walking towards the hole in the wall that was once our window.
Following slowly, I glanced over his shoulder, the whole city, it was destroyed. Smoke was everywhere, everything was either covered in a foot of ash, on fire, or no longer existed. Was this the end of the world?
******
*flashback over*

I can't believe I chose to wear black, it looks bad-ass but makes you hot as hell when your wandering through the desert that used to hold cities while searching for the base camp of the so called 'black army', the middle of a flat, hot fucking desert guys? Really? Couldn't it be a little further North? Its to damn hot out here. I fumed. I tugged my dirty canvas bag higher up on my shoulders and trudged on, following a compass more than likely to my death. I had to cover my whole face in makeup so I didn't burn anymore than what was already there. So my face had caked on white paint that was chipping and cracking in the heat, and my eyes had a massive black band across so I could see a little bit over the reflecting white paint. Soon the heat was to much, I had to change, I only had three outfits and All I could bring myself to wear was a long, thin, loose white dress with long sleeves to keep my arms and legs safe from the non forgiving sun, sounds sexy, stinks like a boys locker room. There is nothing sexy about walking through a desert in a dress after the apocalypse, I ran out of deodorant a week ago, and there's no water to spare on bathing, all for drinking. If you get within a mile of him or her, the sweaty rank stank will make you drop dead in your tracks.
My black combat boots, growing heavier and heavier with every step. The only reason I was still wearing then was because there is no way I'm getting that much exposure to the radiation and the fire hot, cracked ground.
A few months ago, Rowan was killed by what everyone calls 'a demon'. The people that mutated away from humans a few years after the world wide nuking. They have almost black leathery skin, grow horn like appendages on there heads, tall as shit. They're smart, but kill for sport, humans, all they eat is humans, or are cannibals, it's sick.
The black army, kills them, apparently there will be a war between them and the demons next year.
The map mom gave me and Rowan when I was 11 right before the nuking, lead us to an army base that was destroyed. It took us a year to walk there, no cars work, or you have to be some kind of super mechanic which neither me nor Rowan are/was. I've been walking for almost two years. Its taking this long because I don't have the supplies I need, nor know where to go exactly. All I know is that I need to walk south east, I lived in Montana, and apparently the camp is in eastern California, but I've been waking from Iowa, I'm in western Nevada now, but I still have a few weeks walk, plus trying to find it.

A rumbling, played in the distance, from behind me. Within three minutes, a dark blur was painted onto the horizon. A truck, and it was coming fast. It came into view, closer an closer it raced towards me. I could see the details of the truck now, and it was obviously coming straight for me now. I sprinted as fast as I could, which wasn't very fast, I was so dehydrated and tired I barely had enough energy to keep upright and walk, not to mention sprint for my life. The truck was a number of feet behind me now, until it swerved so it was next to me.
I kept running, I refused to stop, I need to get away!
Just as the adrenaline started to kick in making me forget all my pain, tiredness, and dehydration a pair of hands grabbed me from the window of the truck and threw me down onto the scorching sand.
The truck stopped, all I saw was a pair of rubber boots with a yellow rubber suit tucked into it get out of the truck and next to me. Glancing up, I saw nothing but a dark silhouette against the sun. The person was wearing a full body suit with oxygen tanks on the back. The Fuck is going on?
Suddenly he harshly yanked me up from the ground and threw me into the back of his truck.
He put a dirty cloth over my mouth flipped me on my back and strapped me down to a cold metal table. In my attempt to scream, he cut the back of my dress open, and uncliped my bra. I tilted my head up to see him laying surgical tools on a portable table and wheeled it over to me.
Goings back to the drawers in the desk he pulled out a deer skull, a bucks, it still had the antlers attached.   Putting the skull on top of the desk he started to dig around in the drawers again. Pulling out random peices of black leather, massive needles, and extremely thick thread. What's going to happen to me?
He ran towards me and put a mask over my face, and it all went black.

****
Hello! End of the chapter this is my first fan fiction that I intend Omfg actually writing and I hope it's going good so far! Upload again soon!