An Interesting Start

It was a miracle this champion was ever born. His dam, Igual was so sick when she was a foal, they considered humanely euthanizing her. But her life was spared thanks to the veterinarian, Dr. J. K. Northway. He discovered a abscess under her stifle, which affected her whole condition. He successfully cured her, and now she is recognized for giving birth to Assault.
Her first foals didn't accomplish much. But then came Assault.
Assault had a frisky, curious personality. When he was letting his curiosity get the better of him, he stepped on a sharp stake and ran it into his hoof, basically half crippling himself. Dr. J. K. Northway again succeeded in saving another horses' life.
But Assault's hoof would never be the same. He would be stuck with a misshapen hoof his entire life.
Because of that hoof, he developed an interesting walk. But what was worse was trying to shoe the colt. The wall of his hoof was very thin, which made it difficult to anchor the shoe.
When he was sent up to train, his trainer thought he wouldn't train at all. His trainer, Max Hirsch said, "...when he walked and trotted you'd think he was going to fall down..." Assault then got in the habit of protecting his injured hoof and developed an awkward gait. Some observers thought the horse was clubfooted, which later gave him the nickname "the Clubfooted Comet".