One - Commencement

HYDRA. Cut off the head, two more will grow back.

The Winter Soldier was the first. I was the second head they grew. Whenever the Winter Soldier had other missions, I was the other assassin they sent to finish off the people on the list.

Where did I come from? I don't know. I don't have memories of my childhood. They say I was born and raised here, but why can't I remember?

When not in use, we were put to "sleep". In cryostasis. Frozen. On the brink of death at low temperature. Preserved. Vulnerable.

Yes. I knew the Winter Soldier. We were on missions together. Assassinating the president or some royalty, World war 1 and 2. Name it. I was there. But He doesn't remember. I do. Kinda. They wiped him too much often. I pitied Bucky. Between us two, he was the most broken and wore the most blank face. He almost never smiles, but he does. Believe me, I've seen those sad eyes smile.

They haven't wiped me that much because I didn't complain. And unlike Bucky, I wasn't able to recognize anyone. All I knew, I was working for them. All I knew, I was born and raised here. That I owed them my life.

I didn't know that killing was bad. I taught it was just natural. HYDRA taught me that. They say that in order to acquire peace, certain people must be wiped off. That some people must be sacrificed, in order to gain peace. They say that my work was a gift. The same thing they tell Bucky every single time he asks questions.

The Winter Soldier and I used to be working together, but "in order to hasten up" the world domination of HYDRA, I was put on the other side of the globe. I didn't really care where I was. My mission was to kill. I remain uncaught, untraced. I was a ghost.

They even called me The Night Shadow, as I mostly operate during the night, slithing throats and snapping the necks of those who are on the black list.   

The winter soldier was only one of HYRDA's puppets. I, too am one. And here's my story.