Twilight

• Dedicated to Heather Addams

Chapter One

I still could not believe that I had sentenced myself to live in Forks; the wettest place in the whole of the continental US. My stomach churned as the plane took off from Phoenix and began its long journey to Washington. I knew my clothes were way too summery for Forks; I knew I would have to go shopping, which did not cheer me up.

When the plane finally landed and I met Charlie, who was waiting by the police cruiser, outside, I was greeted by an awkward one-arm hug and a gruff hello. Charlie was the Chief of Police to the good people of Forks, which was also one of the reasons why I really wanted a vehicle of my own; I was not going to catch a lift in a car with lights on the roof every single day. Fortunately, I didn't need to.

When we got to Charlie's two storey house in this green, alien world, I saw a rather old looking truck in the drive way. Its red colour was faded but it still looked all right and the best thing was that I could see myself drive it. I actually thought about hugging Charlie at that point but that would have embarressed him into his grave!

My room was the same, only now it had dark blue walls, cream curtains, a proper laptop and purple duvet and pillow set.

"Purple is okay, right?" Charlie had asked uncertainly.

"Purple's cool," I reassured.

"Good," he said and left rather awkwardly. That was one of the best things about Charlie; he never hovered.

The next day was not only cold and wet but I had to follow signs just to get to school. The parking lot outside the red-bricked buildings was full of fancy looking sports cars and SUVs but I didn't care that by truck looked hideous compared to them. I noticed that there was only one motorbike in the lot; an awesome red, black and white one.

"Nice ride," a non-Caucasian guy with a snide smirk and cropped black hair said in a snarky tone.

"Thanks," I muttered, looking down.

"Nice one, Ty," the blonde girl next to him said, giggling.

I went into the Reception to collect my timetable. The Reception was lovely and warm; the receptionist was just as friendly.

"I'm Isabella Swan," I said.

"Ah, yes," she said. "Welcome to Forks High School. Here is your timetable; I hope you enjoy yourself here."

I really wanted to say Yeah, I highly doubt that but me being me, which is too polite for my own good, said Yes I'm sure I will. I seriously needed to grow a backbone and fast!

As I left the Reception, an Asian looking guy with spiked-ish hair and a face full of joy came up to me. "Hi, you're Isabella Swan, right?" he said.

"Bella," I corrected.

"OK, I'm Eric. I will be your tour guide today, or lunch partner, or just a general shoulder to cry on," he said really quickly. "I will also be your eyes and ears. Just ask me anything."

"OK, thanks," I said. "But I really am a 'suffer in silence' person."

"That's okay! Just as long as you stay away from Marco and his friends," Eric said. "School bullies who will pick on asbolutely anyone! Well, maybe execpt two   -   the Cullens and of course the English girl."

My ears pricked up at that. "English girl?"

"Yeah. She arrived two months ago and has been the only one who can stand up to Marco and his gang without being knocked out," Eric said. "That girl has so much fire that she could set the whole town in a blaze if she wanted to!"