Chapter ONE

Mom said moving back to Minnesota would be good for me. That I had friends and family there. She didn't know I never wanted to return. I had wanted to forget this place and the memories it brought back, but I guess that's too much to ask. Unpacking my last box that was full of books by my favorite author, I let out a huge sigh of relief and jumped onto my bed. This is going to be a terrible senior year.

First Day
"Bex Henley?" the calculus teacher, Mr. Anderson, calls out. I look up from my sketch pad, startled. With the entire class looking at me, I raise my hand.
"Here." I mumble. There are laughs and whispering throughout the room the entire class period. Im already off to a bad start.
I'm out of there and off to the library for my free period when the bell rings. I've had enough of this school already. Slinging my purse over my shoulder, I head to the east side of the school. Passing the picnic area that has the tables with the giant red umbrellas and the cement water fountain that looks like it came off of Harry Potter, I finally arrive at the library.
"Well well well. Look who is back." says a voice behind me. I jump at the familiar huskiness. Turning around, I can remember all the reasons why I left.
"Stalking me, are you?" I squint up at him with benevolence. He laughs a big, shaky laugh. 
"Wishful thinking, Bexaria." he winks at me playfully.
"Don't call me that, Hannibal." I smirk, walking ahead of him. I hear his intake of breath. I hit his sensitive spot. Who wouldn't hate that name?
Complaining with the librarian about my new library card, I end up having to take a picture for it. Just great.  I wonder where Hann went. I can't believe I seen him. I mean, I knew I would. I just didn't think it would be so soon. I didn't think he knew I was back.
"Why are you back?" Hann asks me, scaring me shitless out of my thoughts and causing me a horrible picture. I look over at him, trying to find a good enough answer.
"I don't control my parents. Believe me, I don't wanna be here either." I mumble.
"Why don't you?" he asks, surprising me.
"I should go." I whisper, sliding past him. Does he not remember? He's toying with me, I think heading towards my last class of the day.

Mr. Lieve, my English teacher, has to be my favorite so far. I like to think I have a talent in writing. I've always wanted to be a journalist. They travel the world and experience some culture. Right now, Mr. Lieve is talking about Jane Eyre and how she fell in love with an older man who didn't respect her views on the world. Our assignment is to read the book and write a three page essay on our opinions. I've read it plenty of times already... Jane Eyre is who I aspire to be. She had a miserable childhood but grew up to be this smart, independent, blindly beautiful lady with so much care for the world.
She loved a man that, inside, was a monster.
The bell rings, signaling the class is over. I make my way out the door and to my beat up VW as fast as I can.
Sliding behind the wheel, I notice a note on my windshield.

You shouldn't be back. Meet me tonight at Snuffies.
D.O.

There's only one person I know with those initials...