Remember the End

Everyone who was involved still felt like they were there. It wasn't fondness that made them remember what happened, it was rage and fear. Before that day, everyone felt relatively safe and at home. But, nothing lasts forever, and the place of warmth and comfort was snatched away. No one had gotten out unscathed. Everyone knew someone who died, or was in critical condition. Those who did survive were evacuated immediately, and Aspen Hollow had become nothing but ruins and despair.

Nove had been a wreck since it happened, and for months afterwards. Nothing anyone said made her feel any better. She began to ignore her friends and family after a few weeks. That didn't stop them from coming over and helping her do basic everyday things. (Nove had stopped cleaning around the house after a month, when she realized it wasn't helping at all).

The only person that hadn't gone to see her was Avalon, her cousin. Nove assumed it was because of her involvement in the incident. Nove didn't exactly blame her, but she wasn't ready to forgive her yet, either. Avalon probably felt too ashamed to go over and try to comfort Nove, especially because she's partially to blame for Nove's suffering.

One person never left Nove's side, because he felt exactly like she did. Keaton still couldn't believe that his girlfriend had betrayed them all, and that his best friend was dead. Nove was in a similar situation, but Keaton's girlfriend was her best friend/cousin, and his best friend was her boyfriend.She still pretended that he was. Despite the fact that Nove no longer did anything, she would still get dressed up every Friday, waiting for Keegan to pick her up. She would wait until the sun rose up. Keaton waited with her, pretending that his girlfriend wasn't a traitor, and that they still had a date planned.

After another month of Nove and Keaton staring aimlessly into the void, more and more of those close to them gave up trying to help them feel better. Soon enough, Nove and Keaton are put into a psychiatric hospital. However, nothing changes in them. Nove is still in denial, as is Keaton, and they are both still reliving the past year.

The first thing that both of them respond to is Avalon's visit. Even Avalon herself is shocked that she finally made an appearance. Nove was confused when the nurses came to bring her into the visitation room, but still unresponsive. Her confusion only deepened when she saw Keaton being brought in as well. They were seated next to one another, and Nove could tell that he was just as confused as she was.

Their confusion turned into great surprise and shock when Avalon sat down across from them. Seeing her again made Keaton angry, sad and happy. He wasn't sure where the happiness came from, but it was probably because he knew that despite everything, she was still alive. That made him angry, too.

Nove could only feel rage. After months of radio silence, the one person she has always trusted and counted on stabs her in the back, and just shows up like nothing ever happened. Like Keegan was never killed because of her. Longing crept in when she remembered how her relationship with Avalon used to be. Nove once thought that she'd be able to forgive her for her hand in this madness and terrorism. Now, she realized that no matter how much she used to care for Avalon, forgiveness might never be possible.

Keaton and Nove just stared at Avalon until she finally opened her mouth to speak.

"I know that forgiveness is not in my future, but I felt that it was time to see you. I didn't before because I was too ashamed. I'm even more ashamed of myself now, but that's why I had to see the both of you. What I did will never be okay, and I'll be forced to live with my guilt. But I need you two to know that I am sorry about what happened, and how many lives were changed forever. It doesn't change anything, I know. It shouldn't. I didn't do it to ruin lives. No one was ever supposed to get hurt. I was doing what I believed was right, I was manipulated into thinking that I was helping people, not killing them. I didn't come here for forgiveness. I don't expect you to understand why I did what I did, but you deserve to know my side of the story." She sighed and looked over at them.