Death

A chilling feeling flew through the crisp leaf-bare air as the scentless smell of rank death filled the nostrils of many. A chill to the bone swept through as two cats sat on either side of a lifeless, brown tabby body.
A white she~cat with gray tabby splotches and a russet tabby tom sat in a shearing stunned silence as they stared down at the body.
The white cat finally broke the silence, "He's dead, isn't he, Alderberry?" she asked whisking her tail slightly as one last attempt to breathe in the dead cat's scent.
The russet tom spoke solemnly, "Yes, Ivypool, he's dead. Bramblestar is dead," Alderberry's voice sent a shiver down Ivypool's spine. She looked up at the ThunderClan medicine cat, who never took his eyes off of his dead father, his unwavering stare was clearly filled with sorrow as he tried to remain calm. Alderberry spoke again, this time his voice seemed to crack, "That was his last life,"
Ivypool knew Bramblestar had just passed his last life in his sleep, but she still felt her sorrow grow more as Alderberry made the chilling reminder that, this time, Bramblestar wasn't going to wake up. A voice from the entrance of the medicine den broke the chilling sorrow slightly, "Alderberry, I'm sorry for your loss,"
Ivypool turned her head slightly to see it had been Fernsong to break the silence. Alderberry's face seemed to light up as he saw the golden tom, "Thank you," he said, getting up from his spot and approaching Fernsong, "I want you to get Briarlight, Lionblaze, and Berrynose from the elder's den, they are the youngest elders to help us bury him," the medicine cat ordered. Fernsong nodded, seeming happy to have the chance to visit his father.
Ivypool touched noses with the dead leader one last time, "I, and the rest of ThunderClan will miss you forever," she whispered, her voice almost completely silent, "Rest well in StarClan," she finally stood up from her spot and exited the medicine den with Alderberry. The younger russet tom looked to her and gave a slight smile, "You're going to be leader," he said.
Ivypool felt half shocked at that reminder, that thought hadn't even crossed her head. Before Ivypool had anytime to respond she looked up to see Sparktail, Bramblestar's daughter, approaching them.
Her face, despite looking more sad than usual, still held it's happy stature that so often brought Ivypool happiness the moment she saw it. Sparktail peeked into the den, seeing her father's body, "So it's true?" she asked, with a clear tinge of sadness in her tone. Alderberry didn't respond, instead he just gave a nod. Sparktail sat next to her brother and wrapped her fluffy tail around him, "I'm coming with you to bury him," she said.
Alderberry sighed, leaning his head into the ginger she~cat's shoulder, "I couldn't imagine it any other way," the russet medicine cat looked up to Ivypool, "You'll be going too?" he asked.
Ivypool nodded, she looked up to the clouded skies, "I grew close to Bramblestar in the short time I was his deputy, I wish only to honour his life to the fullest," she announced. The elders that were helping with the burial approached.
Lionblaze gave a smile to Ivypool, she smiled back to the golden tom. His face was written with sadness as well, but he seemed to be handling Bramblestar's death well. As if he were reading Ivypool's mind he meowed, "I'm an Elder now, I don't expect to be going on too much longer now without him,"
Ivypool knew he was right, he was older than her. Lionblaze pushed his body up against Ivypool, "You'll see him in StarClan, when you get your lives,"
Lionblaze is right. Though I can't help but feel a cloud of sorrow hang over me, ever since Birchfall was killed Bramblestar was like a father to me.