Acceptance Letter

Excited, as her best friend had just told her he had officially received his letter, Lily raced home, in the hopes that hers would be waiting for her when she opened the door.

Everything had seemed so mundane in her house, however, as her family had just seemed to complete their daily routine. Her mother was in the kitchen, or at least Lily assumed that from the delightful scent wafting through the small home. Her father was sitting on the sofa, his legs stretched out while reading the newspaper, and her older sister, Petunia, snuggled up next to him, taking a nap. On the table next to him sat a cup of coffee that was half ful, an empty glass that seemed to have had milk, and a stack of letters messily placed down.

"Lily dear," her mother said, peaking her head out from behind the wall of the kitchen, unfazed by how she had just entered as she had been meeting her 'special friend' for quite some time now, "The post just got here, be a darling and check for your father. Only take out the important letters. Throw away whatever is left" 

"Yes Mummy" Lily said, walking over to the stack of letters by her father. She picked them all up then sat next to Petunia, who had woken up by their mother's voice. The girls looked over the letters, throwing the ones that looked plain on the floor and keeping the well decorated and expensive ones in hand. While Petunia was just doing it because she got to spend time with her younger sister, Lily was hoping that she would find her letter in the stack as well. Each girl had their own half of the stack in their hands, keeping and throwing as they see fit, showing eachother ones they thought were extra extravagant.

They were reaching the end of the stack, and Lily was getting disheartened that she hadn't found one similar to Severus'. Maybe she wasn't as special as she had thought. Maybe Severus had just been using magic for her because he wanted a friend. By the time they were finished sorting through the letters, Lily was completely convinced that she wasn't getting into the school.

She handed her father the stack of letters and trudged her way towards her and her sister's shared room. She fell face first onto her bed and let out a scream into her pillow that would have surely alarmed the neighbors if it wasn't muffled. All of those moments with Severus were floating through her mind. She had to have been special, but maybe she wasn't as special as Severus led her to believe.

Or at least that's what she thought before she heard a loud shriek from the sitting area. She quickly composed herself and raced out of the room, to see her mother and father in joyful tears, holding a letter that seemed awfully familiar to Lily.

She took the letter from her father and opened it. It read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)
Dear Miss Evans,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.
Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall

Lily let out a scream of joy as she realize what she was holding. SHE WAS SPECIAL! Just as Severus had spent so much time telling her! She should've never doubted her best friend.

"MY DAUGHTERS A WITCH!" her mother yelled out gleefully, grabbing her youngest daughter in a tight hug.

"Congratulations Lily" her father said, joining the hug.

While a majority of the Evans family were delighted, the eldest daughter stood bitterly in the corner. Her sister, her younger sister, who did nothing but follow in her shadows, was overshadowing her. Her parents, who always paid more attention to her than Lily were hugging her and completely ignoring the other. Slowly turning more and more bitter towards her family, Petunia whispered out a small "freak" before pushing away her family and running towards her room. She pulled out a pen and paper and began writing, addressing the same person on the letter she had decided was 'pretty' enough to give her father.

~~~~~
Once this chapter gets twenty views, I will post the next one.
Once this story has ten votes, I will make another character's story like this.
Thank you for reading and gihi.
~IronShadow