Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I wake up to the sound of my alarm clock buzzing. Another day of shit school. Today is Novemeber 21, 2015. I thought the weekend would never come, but just as it started, it ended. I slam the snooze button down, killing for some food in me. So I put some clothes on, brush my teeth and head downstairs for some yummy breakfast.

"Morning, Doug." my mom says as she flips a pancake over.

"Morning mom." I say.

"Mandy called this morning to tell you about that homework assignment you wanted to know about. So what was that about, huh? Shouldn't you know to stay ahead of your studies? School always comes before your hobbies and social life. No more girls or football until you can keep your grades up." she sasses at me.

And here she goes again. It's always about how I have to keep my grades up and crap. My best friend Mandy is one of the smartest people I know. Not only that, but she's also beautiful too. She's on the cheerleading squad which is a bit of a stereotype for jocks and cheerleaders to date, but we're NOT dating. As much as the great girl she is, she and I both know we're not meant for each other. She always looks out for me, and helping me with assignments is one of them.

"I know, I know, and I'm trying ok?" I say respectively.

"Just what I wanted to hear." my mom says as she smiles and places a pancake on my plate.

My parents divorced when I was 13. It was an extremely difficult time back then, but I've gotten through it. I live with my mom now. I still see my dad once a month for our father son dinner, where we go out for dinner together. Other than that, I never see him. He and my mom are still friends though, so that's good. 

"Better get going though, you don't wanna be late!" my mom says as she rushes me.

"Yup." I say as I take my pancake with me.

High school is like riding a bike. Except the bike is on fire. And your on fire. And the whole world is on fire because your in hell. Not so easy, huh? The teachers, the people, the romance, it all sucks. I'm just glad to be almost done it. Looking back at my freshman year, my friends and I were all excited to experience something so amazing. That is, until we found out how horrible everything is gonna be, and how those four years are pure torture.

"Hey!" Mandy says as she walks up to me at my locker.

"Hey."

"So did you get the info on the homework assignment?"

"Yah, I did. Thanks so much, I don't know what I would do without you. I mean my mom is expecting so much crap from me like doing well in school and paying attention at all times, and sometimes I just wish I had a damn break, you know?"

"Tell me about it." Mandy says as she rolls her eyes.

We walk into English class, basically the only class we have together, so we spend it wisely.

When I look at the teacher's desk, I see no teacher. Weird. Ms. Earn is usually always on time. Yet she IS an old hag so she can take all the time she needs.

A young woman who looks about 24 years old walks toward the teacher desk. All the guys swoon over her. Not me, though.

"Hello, my name is Ms. DeLaun." she says in a professional voice.

"Unfortunately, Ms. Earn has retired, and I have been chosen for the job. As your new English teacher, I expect kindness and respect, especially since you are 12th graders. So don't get on my nerves, and we'll be fine."

She seems strict. Can't wait to spend the rest of the year with her. Yay. 

Total. Sarcasm.

"Dang, this chick has really got it going on!" my friend Carl whispers to me.

"I don't know about that. And don't you have a girlfriend?" I laugh.

"C'mon man. That ass is too good not to take. And Lacey can wait." he jokes.

I laugh at Carl's words. Ms. DeLaun seems nice. But not my type.

Then all of a sudden, Ms. DeLaun eyes me really close. She looks at my kindly, yet with no smile on her face. I look away, trying to hold back. She then looks away, and turns back at her papers. 

"Ok, can everyone please turn to page 141 in your textbook. Today we will be learning about how the author William Shakespeare came up with the idea of creating Romeo and Juliet. We will continue to learn about this topic for the next few weeks or so. Now, who can tell me..."

My hearing suddenly ends at that last sentence. All I can focus on is how she looked at me before.